Participating homes in the 2014 Portland Modern Home Tour will open their doors for viewing from 11AM – 5PM on Saturday, March 29th, in the Portland, Oregon area.
Portland, OR (PRWEB) March 26, 2014
This weekend marks the third annual Portland Modern Home Tour. On Saturday, March 29th, Portlandians are invited to get an up close and personal look at nine of the area’s most unique homes that exemplify modern architecture and living. Attendees will learn from homeowners what it’s like to live in a modern home and find out where the architects got their inspiration - directly from the source. The tour is self-guided and self-driven, so attendees can explore these modern treasures at their own pace.
Local architecture expert Brian Libby, founder of portlandarchitecture.com, has selected and curated these nine incredible homes for this year’s tour:
(1) A recently renovated mid-century Rummer house in the Garden-Home Whitford neighborhood of Tigard, originally built in the Eichler Home style (design plans co-created by A. Quincy Jones!), and recently renovated by current owners Tyler Stone and Patrick Hinds of the local electronic pop band Sutro.
(2) A home in Northwest Heights by award-winning firm Skylab Design that is situated on a steeply sloping bank at the end of a small street, and features two living volumes stacked perpendicular to one another in a T-formation.
(3) An extensive remodel and addition (completed by SERA Architects) to an historic 460 sq ft 1919 home in Northeast Portland’s Concordia neighborhood.
(4) The Faulkner/Koehler Residence, a complete rebuilding of a 1953 home by Raphael Design, located in the heart of the Mt. Tabor neighborhood.
(5) The L-shaped Dominic House in Grant Park, by GSB Design, complete with courtyard and gas fire pit.
(6) A mid-century modern Lake Oswego home built in 1955 by acclaimed local architect Warren Webber, which was recently renovated by MOA Architecture in partnership with interior design firm JHL Design.
(7) The ultra-compact (just 13-feet wide) Irvington Residence by DAO Architecture in Portland’s Irvington neighborhood that exemplifies sustainable design and efficient living in a modern space.
(8) A model unit in the brand new Sawyer's Row apartments, designed by the highly-acclaimed and award-winning firm, Holst Architecture, and part of Portland’s Northwest Plan District.
(9) The four-story Tower House, located in Northwest Heights, that is shaped cylindrical and based on the idea of a Medieval tower, designed by award-winning architect Ben Waechter.
Participating homes in the 2014 Portland Modern Home Tour will open their doors for viewing from 11AM – 5PM on Saturday, March 29th, in the Portland, Oregon area. All are invited to attend. Kids under 12 are FREE (when accompanying their parents). Tickets for each tour are $30 in advance online; $40 on the day of the tour. For more details on the Portland Modern Home Tour and how to buy tickets, visit http://modernhometours.com/event/portland.
About Modern Home Tours, LLC: Based in Austin, Texas, Modern Home Tours, LLC was founded by partners Matt Swinney & James Leasure in 2010 to introduce modern architecture and living to people across the nation. Through fun and informative tours in dozens of cities across the USA and Canada, the group invites people into some of the most exciting examples of modern architecture and design in the nation. With carefully selected architects, neighborhoods and architecture, the Modern Home Tours are unlike anything you’ve ever seen. Not only will you learn about the cutting edge of home design while on our tours, but you might even get an idea or two for your next home project!