'With our mission of providing excellence in healthcare and patient service we continually strive to offer patient-centered care that respects each patient’s preferences, values and needs.' - Mickey Smith, CEO, Oak Hill Hospital.
Spring Hill, FL (PRWEB) April 17, 2014
Oak Hill Hospital has been named a recipient of the Women’s Choice Award as one of America’s Best Hospitals in Emergency Care. Each year there are more than 125 million emergency room visits in the U.S., with about a fifth of them being children under the age of 15. Emergency departments continue to be an essential part of the healthcare system as they provide fast life-or-limb saving care to millions each year.
The Women’s Choice Award is the only distinction that identifies the nation’s best healthcare institutions and signifies Oak Hill Hospital’s commitment and passion for creating an extraordinary healthcare experience for women and all patients. The Women’s Choice Award is also the lone recognition program that measures against the needs and preferences of women. Of the seven core measures reported by emergency departments to the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS), women rate “door to diagnostic time” or in other words, “door to doctor,” as the most important criteria when selecting an emergency room. The least important reported measure is the total time before leaving the emergency room.
“The award is based on robust criteria that consider patient satisfaction, clinical excellence and what women really want when it comes to treatment and a quality hospital experience,” says Delia Passi, CEO & founder of WomenCertified, home of the Women’s Choice Award. “Oak Hill Hospital not only performed well clinically with regard to emergency care measures, but they also have a high recommendation rating, which is very important to women when it comes to health related decisions.”
Hospitals earning the Emergency Care Award consistently rank in the top 25 percent of the 3,600 hospitals reporting on their emergency department’s performance to the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS). The seven measures CMS publicly report relate primarily to the amount of time taken in the ER, such as time for diagnosis, medication, and admission to the hospital, and are weighted according to the priorities of women surveyed. A hospital can be eliminated from the award if they fall outside the 25th percentile for two or more of the seven measures, depending on their importance. The award is also limited to those hospitals with a solid recommendation on Hospital Consumer Assessment of Healthcare Providers and Systems.
“With our mission of providing excellence in healthcare and patient service we continually strive to offer patient-centered care that respects each patient’s preferences, values and needs,” says Mickey Smith, CEO, Oak Hill Hospital. “We are honored to be one of only 231 hospitals in the country and one of only 14 hospitals in Florida to receive this emergency care award of excellence by the Women’s Choice Award,” he added.
As the collective voice of female consumers, the Women’s Choice Award provides women with recommendations they can trust from other women.
“Our mission is to reduce the risk for women and their families so they can make smarter healthcare choices,” added Passi. “We have found that recommendations are the single most important consideration used by women in selecting a hospital for themselves and their family. By helping women know which hospitals in their area provide the best critical care, we are able to help them make better decisions, especially when it comes to emergency situations.”
About Oak Hill Hospital
Oak Hill Hospital has been serving the Nature Coast since 1984. It is the largest medical facility in Hernando and Citrus Counties (262 acute care beds), is one of the area’s largest private employers, and offers Hernando County’s only comprehensive cardiovascular program, including open heart surgery. Approximately 300 physicians, 950 associates, and over 350 volunteers comprise Oak Hill Hospital’s healthcare delivery team.
Oak Hill has demonstrated its healthcare leadership by achieving distinction as the:
- First hospital in the area to offer a Graduate Medical Education (GME) program with a Residency in Internal Medicine
- First and only open heart surgery hospital in Hernando County.
- First hospital in our region to receive the Women’s Choice Award for Emergency Care excellence by WomenCertified, home of the Women’s Choice Awards.
- First accredited Chest Pain Center with PCI (heart catheterization) and the first hospital in the area to achieve Heart Failure accreditation by the Society of Chest Pain Centers.
- First and only advanced level primary stroke center in Hernando County to be fully accredited by The Joint Commission.
- First comprehensive Women’s Imaging Center in Hernando County and the first imaging center offering digital mammography with computer aided detection.
- First hospital in the area to be recognized as an accredited cancer institute by the Commission on Cancer (CoC) of the American College of Surgeons (ACoS).
- First hospital in the region to offer a comprehensive Orthopaedic & Spine Institute and first to achieve national certification by The Joint Commission for its hip & knee replacement and spinal fusion programs.
- First in the nation to have achieved 100% Board Certified Emergency Nurses, CEN’s, for which it was honored by the Emergency Nurses Association and first in Florida to receive the prestigious Lantern Award in ER nursing for exemplifying exceptional and innovative performance in the core areas of leadership, practice, education, advocacy, and research.
- Now offers the most advanced robotic assisted surgical system: the newly refined da Vinci® Si Surgical System.
- Named by The Joint Commission as one of the nation’s Top Performers on Key Quality Measures in Heart Attack, Heart Failure, Pneumonia, and Surgical Care.
It is located at 11375 Cortez Boulevard, Spring Hill, 1.9 miles east of US 19 on State Road 50. For more information about this release, please contact Richard W. Linkul, Director of Marketing, at 352-597-6383 or Richard.Linkul(at)HCAHealthcare(dot)com. In Citrus call 352-628-6441. For more information about Oak Hill Hospital, visit our website at OakHillHospital.com, or like us on Facebook.
About the Women's Choice Award
The Women’s Choice Award sets the standard for helping women make smarter choices by collectively identifying the brands, products, and services most recommended and trusted by women - those that deliver a customer experience worthy of their recommendation. Awards are based on surveys of thousands of women, as well as research conducted in partnership with the Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania on what drives the consumer experience for women versus men. As the leading advocate for female consumers, WomenCertified Inc., home of the Women’s Choice Award, created the first national award based on the ratings and preferences of women to provide them with a collective voice. Women can make their preferences heard and be part of the mission toward a million voices strong by visiting the Women’s Choice Award’s official website at http://www.womenschoiceaward.com/join-the-million/ and joining the network.