Bath safety is for everyone and every bath,” said Tia Bahr, senior bath safety product manager, Moen.
North Olmsted, Ohio (PRWEB) January 06, 2015
When it comes to designing a bathroom, décor decisions are often the first element considered, but what about safety? Moen encourages homeowners to make the idea of a safe and well-styled bath a reality this January as part of National Bath Safety Month.
Slips and falls are common in this small and slippery space – and among all age groups. In fact, 81 percent of bath injuries are caused by falls. Luckily, Moen Home Care offers a wide variety of products to help prevent you and your loved ones from becoming a statistic.
Grab Bars – a staple of bath safety, grab bars have come a long way from what’s seen in public restrooms. They are now available in a variety of lengths, styles and finishes, including new designs to perfectly match the Moen® Align®, Banbury®, Brantford™ and Eva® bath collections.
Hand Grips – a smaller, nine-inch bar, hand grips – including the new Moen Banbury® Hand Grip –add extra stability when transitioning in and out of the bathtub or shower.
Accessories with Grab Bars – these dual-purpose products combine the safety benefits of a grab bar with one of three essential bath accessories – paper holder, shelf or towel bar.
Shower Seats – available in multiple styles, from basic white to the new Fold-Down Shower Seat in a beautiful teak wood surface with Old World Bronze finish, shower seats provide peace of mind for bathers who are unable or prefer not to stand in the shower.
As part of National Bath Safety Month in January, Moen Home Care is educating consumers about the facts surrounding hidden dangers in the bathroom, as well as offering five easy tips to make every bath a safe and stylish one.
- There are nearly 200,000 bathroom accidents per year. (2)
- Children under five and adults over 70 have the highest rate of falls in the home. (1)
- Every day in the U.S., 370 people of all ages suffer bathtub or shower-related injuries. (3)
- Women are 72% more likely to be injured in the bath or shower than men. (1)
- 27% of women admit to falling while pregnant and 10% experience two of more falls in the bath. (4)
- The most challenging, and potentially injury-related bathroom activity, is getting in and out of a bathtub safely. (5) Many rely on items that are not designed to support body weight, such as towel bars, soap dishes and shower doors.
Five Easy Ways to Help Make Every Bath a Safe Bath
- Keep bath items – like shampoo – within easy reach.
- Install tread strips for secure footing in the bathtub or shower.
- Add a nightlight to illuminate your nighttime visits to the bath.
- Try a tub grip, hand grip or grab bar for extra stability when transitioning in and out of the bathtub.
- Don’t worry about slipping while shaving in the shower; add comfort – and peace of mind – with a bath or shower seat.
Join the Movement
Join Moen’s safe bath movement and inspire others by sharing your bath safety ideas and updates on Twitter, Facebook or Instagram using the hashtag #bathsafety.
“Bath safety is for everyone and every bath,” said Tia Bahr, senior bath safety product manager, Moen. “It should not be an afterthought and it should be on everyone’s list as necessary features to include within this space. We hope that as we share this information with consumers during National Bath Safety Month, it will help further our mission to make every bath a safe bath.”
For more information about Moen Home Care products, visit http://www.moen.com/homecare.
1. CDC - Nonfatal Bathroom Injuries Among Persons Aged ≥15 Years — United States, 2008
2. National Safety Council
3. Consumer Product Safety Commission
4. National Safety Council
5. Moen Research
As the #1 faucet brand in North America, Moen offers a diverse selection of thoughtfully designed kitchen and bath faucets, showerheads, accessories, bath safety products and kitchen sinks for residential applications – each delivering the best possible combination of meaningful innovation, useful features, on-trend styling and lasting value. In addition, Moen® Commercial offers superior-performing products that deliver lower lifetime costs for today's facilities.
Moen is part of Fortune Brands Home & Security, Inc. (NYSE: FBHS), which creates products and services that help fulfill the dreams of homeowners and help people feel more secure. The Company's trusted brands include Moen® faucets, Master Lock® and Sentry® Safe security products, MasterBrand® cabinets and Therma-Tru® entry door systems. Fortune Brands holds market leadership positions in all of its segments. Fortune Brands is part of the S&P MidCap 400 Index. For more information, please visit http://www.FBHS.com.
Jennifer Allanson or Kristi Stolarski