Dr. Hector P. Garcia's Legacy will be continued for the next 100 years.
San Antonio, TX (PRWEB) January 07, 2015
The Dr. Hector P. Garcia Memorial Foundation is pleased to announce Dr. Rebecca Saavedra as the keynote speaker for the Dr. Hector P. Garcia Birthday Celebration Luncheon on Friday, Jan. 16 at the American Bank Center, Henry Garrett Ballroom, in Corpus Christi, TX.
Dr. Saavedra, vice president for strategic management at the University of Texas Medical Branch, plays an essential role as she works with the president and executive leaders to develop and execute UTMB’s strategic vision. In this position, she has contributed to UTMB’s successful recovery after Hurricane Ike, during a time of tremendous change in health care and great challenges in the national economy.
Dr. Saavedra has had a long career in academic medicine prior to her current role. She is the founder of the Dr. Hector P. Garcia Student Essay Competition, an annual UTMB event established in 1997 that honors Dr. Garcia and his contributions to health care and social justice. In 2011, she received the Dr. Hector P. Garcia award at UTMB that recognized her continued support to keep his philosophy and accomplishments alive.
Dr. Saavedra holds a doctorate in higher education from the University of Houston, a Masters in Education from Texas State University in San Marcos and a Bachelor of Arts from the University of Texas at Arlington. She has been in academic medicine for 30 years. She has authored and presented articles on topics related to professionalism, strategic planning, and Latino medical student development. She serves on several non-profit boards, community organizations and as a member of the Malcolm Baldrige National Quality Award Board of Examiners.
The Dr. Hector P. Garcia Memorial Foundation has planned several events for the week from Monday, Jan. 12 through Friday, Jan. 16 in Corpus Christi, TX. These events include the following:
- Monday, Jan. 12 at 11:30 a.m.: Graveside service at Seaside Cemetery on Ocean Drive hosted by the American GI Forum Founder’s Chapter, Dr. Cleo Garcia Chapter and YWCA. Guest speaker Ram Chavez. Music is by Veterans Band and a reception to follow.
- Tuesday, Jan. 13 at 12:15 p.m.: Mayor’s proclamation during City Council Meeting at City Hall.
- Tuesday, Jan. 13 at 4 p.m.: Street naming honoring Dr. Garcia by Braseltron Homes to be unveiled in Rancho Vista II off Yorktown Blvd. in Corpus Christi. Guest speaker is Commissioner Mike Pusley.
- Wednesday, Jan. 14 at 6 p.m.: Donors reception at the Bleu Bistro 500 N. Water Street hosted by Barbara Canales. Guest speaker is Larry Elizondo, Sr. CITGO Refining
- Thursday, Jan. 15 at 1 p.m.: Showing of the documentary, “Justice For My People” at Richardson Auditorium Del Mar College-CCISD and open to the public.
- Thursday, Jan. 15 at 6:30 p.m.: Memorial Mass honoring Dr. Garcia at Corpus Christi Cathedral at 505 N. Upper Broadway. Reception to follow. Sponsored by Del Mar College.
- Friday, Jan. 16 at 11 a.m.: Celebrating the “NEXT 100 YEARS” at the American Bank Center at 1901 N. Shoreline Blvd. Keynote speaker is Dr. Rebecca Saavedra, vice president for strategic management at The University of Texas Medical Branch in Galveston.
The Dr. Hector P. Garcia Memorial Foundation is a recognized 501©(3) non-profit corporation by the State of Texas. The proceeds from this event will assist in the funding of the Dr. Hector P. Garcia Learning Center at Texas A&M University-Corpus Christi. Dr. Garcia donated his papers in 1990 to Texas A&M University-Corpus Christi and the Learning Center is crucial for the proper and full appreciation by the public and students for the papers historical value.
Please contact Anna Flores at International Meeting Planners at (361)241-4535 for sponsorship levels and individual ticket sales. To donate to the Foundation visit:
About the Foundation:
The Dr. Hector P. Garcia Memorial Foundation was formed under the guidelines and rules of the IRS non-profit 501(c)(3) and is a recognized non-profit corporation by the state of Texas. In addition to providing scholarships to educational institutions, funds may also be used to provide charitable assistance to military veterans in the form of promotion of veteran appreciation, and other endeavors related to the social welfare of our military veterans. The Foundation, as Dr. Hector did, also promotes the fair treatment, support and honoring of those who have served our country in the armed forces.
The Dr. Hector P. Garcia Foundation continues to strive to promote Dr. Garcia’s legacy and has recently supported the naming of the Dr. Hector P. Garcia Memorial Family Health Center in Corpus Christi, TX. in collaboration with Christus Spohn Health. Additionally, the Foundation’s ambitious agenda includes raising funds for the Dr. Hector P. Garcia Memorial Wing and Learning Center at Texas A&M University-Corpus Christi to house Dr. Garcia’s voluminous papers, photographs, and memorabilia that represents his lifelong devotion to this country.