Buffalo, NY (PRWEB) January 08, 2015
Carbon monoxide (CO) is often referred to as “the silent killer” because it is a colorless, odorless, poisonous gas that can cause illness and even death without the victim knowing they are being exposed. SUNY Upstate Medical University reports that CO poisoning is responsible for 40,000 emergency room visits and 1,000 accidental deaths annually in the United States.
Carbon monoxide exposure can result from malfunctioning furnaces, water heaters, ranges and other appliances, as well as fireplaces, generators and cars. To help prevent CO poisoning:
- Be sure all appliances are installed and operating correctly
- Never operate portable generators in or near an enclosed space
- Don’t leave your car running in an attached garage, even with the garage door open
- Don’t heat your home with gas appliances such as ranges, ovens, or clothes dryers
Early symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include headache, fatigue, shortness of breath, nausea, and dizziness and can easily be mistaken for the flu, even by doctors. It is also possible in cases of high levels of CO exposure for a victim to immediately experience mental confusion, loss of muscle control, and unconsciousness, which can make it impossible to get to safety. Because carbon monoxide can cause great harm without victims even being aware of the danger they are in, CO detectors are critical equipment for every building. New York State passed Amanda’s Law in 2010, which requires carbon monoxide detectors in every new or existing residential building in the state.
Amanda’s Law was named for Amanda Hansen, who passed away at the age of sixteen from carbon monoxide poisoning. Understanding the vital role CO detectors play in saving lives, William Mattar is once again working with the Amanda Hansen Foundation and Tops Friendly Markets to distribute thousands of dollars worth of free carbon monoxide detectors to the community. On January 18, 2015 from 10am-noon, William Mattar and the Amanda Hansen Foundation will be holding a CO detector giveaway at Tops Friendly Markets at 5827 South Transit Road in Lockport. Detectors will be available while supplies last. One per household, please.
About The Amanda Hansen Foundation
The Amanda Hansen Foundation was established in September 2010 in memory of 16-year-old Amanda Hansen. With the goal of raising awareness of the dangers of carbon monoxide in the home, the foundation holds many fundraisers and has given out thousands of CO detectors to local residents. They are currently seeking community support to help them continue to carry out this important mission.
About Tops Friendly Markets
Tops Markets LLC is headquartered in Williamsville, NY and operates 159 full-service supermarkets – 154 company-owned and five franchise locations under the Tops banner. With more than 15,000 associates, Tops is a leading full-service grocery retailer in upstate New York, northern Pennsylvania and western Vermont. For more information about Tops Friendly Markets, visit the company's website at http://www.topsmarkets.com.
About William Mattar, P.C.
William Mattar, P.C. represents those injured in car accidents in the Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse, Binghamton and Albany areas and maintains a principal office at 6720 Main Street, Williamsville, NY. The firm is very active in supporting the community and has established a number of community programs and initiatives, including the Safe & Sober Ride Home program on New Year’s Eve, the Buckle Your Belt program, and a smoke detector giveaway during Fire Safety Month. For more information on the firm’s community involvement or how William Mattar can help you if you’ve been injured in a car accident, please visit http://www.williammattar.com or call 444-4444.