WACO, Texas (PRWEB) January 17, 2015
Most people know that when water freezes, it expands. But did you know that a 1/8-inch crack could cause up to 250 gallons of water a day to leak into your property? This gives whole new meaning to the phrase “cold snap”, and it costs property owners $5,000 or more in cleaning and damage repair costs.
To prevent frozen pipes, review these tips:
- Make sure gutters are free of debris so melting snow and ice can flow freely through the gutter.
- Allow faucets to drip cold water slowly. Flowing water helps prevent freezing.
- Set heat thermostat for 65 degrees or higher in the winter months.
- Open cabinet doors below sinks to allow warm air to circulate.
- When away for an extended period of time, winterize pipes by having them drained or have a neighbor check on the home.
- Disconnect garden hoses and install covers on outside faucets.
- Wrap pipes near exterior walls and in crawl spaces with pipe insulation. Supplies are available at your local hardware store for low cost.
- Make sure heating vents are open in all rooms, especially the basement where it is the coldest.
- Consider weather sealing your windows to prevent drafts.
- Insulate outside walls and unheated areas of your home.
If your pipes freeze:
- Heat up the pipe with a blow dryer, space heater, heating pad, or warm towels until the water can freely flow through the pipe.
- Start thawing a pipe nearest to the faucet. Open the faucet slightly so water can be released as it starts to thaw out.
If a pipe bursts:
- Locate your water shut-off valve and turn off the main water supply. This will prevent water from continuing to pour out.
- Call a plumber to repair the pipe. In most cases, cleanup services will not be performed until the source of the issue is fixed.
- Contact your insurance agent immediately about the water damage. Your agent can verify your coverage before a claim is filed.
- Take pictures of the water damage to have documentation of the damage.
- Be patient. Restoration companies are making an effort to get to you as soon as possible, but during times of bad weather it creates a “rush” where possibly hundreds of others are in need of services at the same time.
In the event you face a water disaster from broken pipes, call the experts at Rainbow International to begin water damage restoration. Keep Rainbow International’s number - 888-RAINBOW - with your other emergency contacts, and let them restore your home and life after a water disaster.