It is an honor for me (and the band) to have visited and spent time in the company of our troops and military families at Cannon Air Force Base," said Wylde. "The work these brave men and women do is extremely important...
Arlington, VA (PRWEB) January 29, 2015
Black Label Society makes a memorable USO tour stop to Cannon Air Force Base in New Mexico to visit and perform for troops, just days before embarking on their 28-city, 15-country commercial tour throughout Europe. The first USO experience for the Los Angeles-based heavy metal band, the group spent yesterday (Jan. 28) learning about the Air Force Special Operations Command’s mission and making #USOMoments for Air Commandos and their families from the 27th Special Operations Wing Air. ***Link to USO photos below***
- Members of the Black Label Society – which is comprised of founder/lead vocalist Zakk Wylde, bass player John DeServio, drummer Jeff Fabb and guitarist Dario Lorina – began their moment-filled USO visit by joining Air Commandos for a breakfast, conducting a static aircraft tour and participating in a USO meet & greet. The band also had the opportunity to fly onboard an AC-130W gunship from the 73rd Special Operations Squadron.
- The band ended their visit by performing a no holds barred USO concert inside one of the many hangars on base. In all, Black Label Society visited with and performed for hundreds of military families.
- A talented musician, songwriter and multi-instrumentalist, Zakk Wylde joined Ozzy Osbourne’s band as lead guitarist and co-writer in 1987 at the age of 19. He went on to perform with Osbourne for the next twenty years and to form the Black Label Society in 1998. This visit marks Wylde’s second USO experience, having traveled to South Korea with Osbourne in 2002.
- Since the Black Label Society’s inception, the group has sold more than 2 million albums worldwide. The band scored its second consecutive Top 5 Billboard 200 Charting Album with "Catacombs of the Black Vatican" – the band’s ninth and most recent studio album.
- Black Label Society kicks off their 28-city European tour in the United Kingdom on Feb 11. The tour is scheduled to visit 15 countries by July 30.
- The USO’s “Every Moment Counts” campaign invites Americans to join Black Label Society in honoring, saluting and creating moments for our nation’s troops and their families this year. To learn more visit USOmoments.org or join the conversation on Facebook or Twitter using #USOMoments.
Attributed to Black Label Society frontman Zakk Wylde:
“It is an honor for me (and the band) to have visited and spent time in the company of our troops and military families at Cannon Air Force Base. The work these brave men and women do is extremely important, not only to our nation but to all the countries that our troops are stationed at around the world. I am grateful to the USO for having us and to all the troops who shared their day with us.”
Tour Photos: http://bit.ly/1xFkgW6
About the USO
The USO lifts the spirits of America’s troops and their families millions of times each year at hundreds of places worldwide. We provide a touch of home through centers at airports and military bases in the U.S. and abroad, top quality entertainment and innovative programs and services. We also provide critical support to those who need us most, including forward-deployed troops, military families, wounded warriors, troops in transition and families of the fallen. The USO is a private, non-profit organization, not a government agency. Our programs and services are made possible by the American people, support of our corporate partners and the dedication of our volunteers and staff.
In addition to individual donors and corporate sponsors, the USO is supported by President’s Circle Partners: American Airlines, AT&T, BNSF Railway, Clark Construction Group, LLC, The Coca-Cola Company, Grand Canyon University, JCPenney, Jeep, Johnson & Johnson, Kroger, Northrop Grumman Corporation and TriWest Healthcare Alliance and Worldwide Strategic Partners: BAE Systems, BIC, The Boeing Company, ConAgra Foods, FedEx, Harris Teeter, Lockheed Martin, Microsoft Corporation, Procter & Gamble, TKS Telepost Kabel-Service Kaiserslautern GmbH & Co. KG and Wawa Inc. We are also supported through the United Way and Combined Federal Campaign (CFC-11381). To join us in this important mission, and to learn more about the USO, please visit uso.org.