Era Living has a long standing partnership with the University of Washington because we believe in lifelong learning and in enriching the lives of older adults.
SEATTLE (PRWEB) February 05, 2015
Era Living, parent organization of eight senior living communities in the Seattle area, is collaborating with the University of Washington Schools of Nursing and Pharmacy to provide residents and neighbors with free opportunities for lifelong learning about building healthy habits as we age. Dates, times, lecture titles and locations include:
- February 20 at 10:30am, S.A.D. Stop! with UW School of Pharmacy at The Gardens at Town Square, 933 111th Ave. N.E. Bellevue.
- March 3 at 10:30am, Shop for a Healthier You & Sleep Better with UW School of Nursing professors at University House Issaquah 22975 SE Black Nugget Road, Issaquah.
- March 3 at 1:30pm, Shop for a Healthier You & Sleep Better with UW School of Nursing professors Aljoya Mercer Island 2430 76th Ave. S.E., Mercer Island.
- March 17 at 10:30am, Shop for a Healthier You & Sleep Better with UW School of Nursing professors at Ida Culver House Broadview, 12505 Greenwood Ave. N, Seattle.
- April 15 at 10:30am, Shop for a Healthier You & Sleep Better with UW School of Nursing professors at The Lakeshore, 11448 Rainier Ave. S., Seattle.
Both S.A.D. Stop! presented by UW School of Pharmacy Professor, Dr. Karan Dawson, and Shop for a Healthier You and Better Sleep presented by UW School of Nursing Professors Dr. Basia Belza and Dr. Carol Landis focus on behavioral changes, founded in science, that attendees could take to improve overall health and well being.
“Era Living has a long standing partnership with the University of Washington because we believe in lifelong learning and in enriching the lives of older adults,” says Era Living Vice President of Operations, Jacob Almo. “We are proud to make health lectures free and accessible to our residents, their friends and neighbors because an educated community is a healthy community.”
S.A.D. Stop! is a 60-minute lecture-style presentation designed to help attendees identify the symptoms of Seasonal Affective Disorder, gain an understanding of what therapies are available to them including herbal supplementation, light tools, psychotherapy, mind-body practices and medicines. Dr. Dawson covers which treatments are most helpful and provides tools for self-care to prevent or minimize S.A.D.
Shop for a Healthier You is presented by Aljoya Endowed Professor in Aging and UW School of Nursing Professor, Dr. Basia Belza who is a leading innovator in senior fitness and activity. Dr. Belza’s lecture is about 30 minutes in length and focuses on where seniors can find great indoor walking programs, how to walk for fitness in shopping centers, and how older adults can use these social atmospheres to stay engaged on multiple levels.
Better Sleep is a 30-minute informal talk by UW School of Nursing Professor and Co-Director of Behavioral Tools Core at the UW Center for Sleep Disorders Management, Dr. Carol Landis. Dr. Landis details the negative consequences of sleep loss and offers practical methods for sleep improvement.
All lectures are open to the public with advance reservations to the host community.
- The Gardens at Town Square, Bellevue, 425-688-1900
- University House Issaquah, 425-557-4200
- Aljoya Mercer Island, 206-230-0150
- Ida Culver House Broadview, 206-361-1989
- The Lakeshore, south Seattle, 206-772-1200
Since 1987, Era Living has been dedicated to fostering a healthy and engaging environment of whole body wellness, culture, warmth, and social fulfillment – providing premier healthcare services and enriching activities at all eight of its communities. Era Living communities are Aljoya Mercer Island, Aljoya Thornton Place, Ida Culver House Broadview, Ida Culver House Ravenna, The Gardens at Town Square, The Lakeshore, University House Issaquah, and University House Wallingford.