(PRWEB UK) 4 February 2015
Liftshare.com – the nation's original and largest car share network - has launched its official mobile app on Android devices. The free tool offers UK drivers and those without access to a car more money-saving freedom than ever before.
The new Android app empowers Liftshare's 420,000-plus members with greater visibility and reach, enabling them to quickly post details of their car journeys within a few taps, while those who need a lift can get to destinations with ease.
Not only does this enable car owners to reduce their vehicle running costs, but it also provides a shared, social transport option for those struggling to afford rail, taxi or bus fares.
It comes on the heels of the UK's latest rail hike, which sees the price of an open single from London to Manchester hitting a staggering £93*, while the same journey on Liftshare costs around £20. It is now clear that the price of Britain's public transport is reaching unsustainable levels.
Travelling between Manchester and Birmingham can cost £92 by train, but with Liftshare it’s less than £15, and a lot more social too thanks to Facebook log-in functionality.
The new app enables travellers to simply enter a destination – be it a place of work, a trip to see family or friends, a music or sports event, and then see which drivers are going their way.
Users can then choose the most-suitable driver using in-app messaging and verified profiles, with user reviews and additional information. Once happy with their selection, passengers can confirm their payment with one simple tap.
The new Liftshare app can be downloaded for free on Google Play.
Notes to Editors
Additional app features:
- On the day of your lift, reminders and departure updates take the hassle out of travel. Cashless payments can help those strapped for cash at music festivals or sports fixtures get home with ease.
- The app keeps you in control – confirm your payment with one tap when you are happy with your lift, and leave driver reviews to help other members make their choice.
- Post details of your journey online and set a fair price using our clear, automatic recommendations. Payment alerts show when passenger funds have cleared.
- Save on the cost of fuel during your regular commute, road trip or driving holiday while meeting like-minded people.
- Using Liftshare doesn't affect your insurance – as your passenger is helping cover the cost of your existing journey, but not making you a profit. Enjoy peace of mind with our app.
- Your car, your rules: Prefer non-smoking? Don't like your radio tampered with? Specify rules when posting your journeys for smooth sailing!
Liftshare.com is part of the sharing economy, a global sector of new forward-thinking sites and charities that strives to make the world a more engaged, social, affordable and eco-friendly place through collaborative consumption.
Liftshare was conceptualised by founder Ali Clabburn, after posting lift requests on University forum boards in the late '90s. It now provides green travel solutions for local councils, University sustainability departments, music festivals and nationwide retail chains in a B2B capacity.
The community recently surpassed 420,000 members, and strives to help UK citizens banish transport poverty and social isolation by getting them travelling on the road together in a collaborative environment.
Further information regarding Liftshare and the sharing economy, interviews with the team and app details can be provided upon request:
Tel: +44 0131 555 4848