Arlington, VA (PRWEB) February 19, 2015
BET Networks has joined forces with the USO once again, this time treating Naval Base San Diego with a USO visit on Feb. 17 featuring stars from their number one rated television show “Being Mary Jane,” to include actors Richard Roundtree, B.J. Britt and Aaron Spears. On a mission to help the USO make more great #USOMoments in 2015, the group spent the entire day with sailors and their families, and even took time out to learn about the base’s important mission and extensive fleet of Navy ships. **USO photo link below**
- Roundtree, Britt and Spears kicked off their USO visit with a meet & greet with sailors and their families at the Waterfront Recreation Center, followed by a lunch on base.
- The group then went on a tour of Naval Base San Diego, where they learned about the base’s mission and operations, and viewed various ship platforms.
- Roundtree, Britt and Spears join a growing list of famous faces who have participated in USO tours and worked closely with BET over the years. Among other BET stars (both past and present) who have volunteered with the USO to visit and/or entertain troops are Nick Cannon (“Real Husbands of Hollywood”), Keyshia Cole (“Keyshia Cole: All In”) and Rocsi Diaz (“106 & Park”).
- BET kicked off its celebration of Black History Month with the highly anticipated return of “Being Mary Jane” on Feb. 3 – the network’s No. 1 new original drama series across all cable networks. Recently picked up for its third season, the show racks in anywhere from 5 to 3 million viewers weekly. The show chronicles the life of successful news anchor ‘Mary Jane’ and her relationships with the family patriarch ‘Paul Patterson, Sr.” (played by Richard Roundtree), younger brother ‘Jr.’ (portrayed by B.J. Plitt) and co-worker/friend ‘Mark Bradley’ (portrayed by Aaron Spears), among other cast members. The show airs Tuesdays at 10 p.m. ET/9 p.m. CT on BET.
- The USO last joined forces with BET in June 2014, when together they pushed out more than 300 “Thank You Notes for the Troops” at the BET Experience Fan Fest in celebration of the USO’s “Every Moment Counts” campaign. BET capped off the event by gifting several local troops (with help from the Bob Hope Hollywood USO Center) with free tickets to the 2014 BET Awards.
- Throughout the 1970s, Roundtree was one of Hollywood’s go-to leading men in films. Best known for his portrayal of ‘Detective John Shaft’ in the classic 1971 hit film “Shaft,” Roundtree has starred in more than 60 major motion pictures and television shows, including in the groundbreaking historical miniseries “Roots” – which received 37 Emmy Award nominations and won nine.
- Britt has appeared in dozens of popular television shows and movies, from “Everybody Hates Chris” and “One Tree Hill” to “Lincoln Heights” and “The Vampire Diaries.” Coming up, Britt will star in the film “10 Things I Hate About Life.”
- With a resume including guest appearances on such shows as “Angel,” “Criminal Minds,” “Bones” and “Everybody Loves Raymond,” Spears is a fixture on television. Born in our nation’s capital, he landed his first major role on CBS' The Bold and the Beautiful” in 2009.
- The USO’s “Every Moment Counts” invites Americans to join the cast in honoring, saluting and creating moments for our nation’s troops and their families this year. The campaign centers around the countless every day moments – from family dinners and date nights to children’s births and bedtime stories – that our troops and their families selflessly sacrifice due to their commitment and service to our country. To learn more visit USOmoments.org.
USO photos: http://bit.ly/1KG2hVq
# # #
About the USO
The USO lifts the spirits of America’s troops and their families millions of times each year at hundreds of places worldwide. We provide a touch of home through centers at airports and military bases in the U.S. and abroad, top quality entertainment and innovative programs and services. We also provide critical support to those who need us most, including forward-deployed troops, military families, wounded warriors, troops in transition and families of the fallen. The USO is a private, non-profit organization, not a government agency. Our programs and services are made possible by the American people, support of our corporate partners and the dedication of our volunteers and staff.
In addition to individual donors and corporate sponsors, the USO is supported by President’s Circle Partners: American Airlines, AT&T, BNSF Railway, Clark Construction Group, LLC, The Coca-Cola Company, JCPenney, Jeep, Johnson& Johnson, Kroger, Northrop Grumman Corporation and TriWest Healthcare Alliance and Worldwide Strategic Partners: BAE Systems, BIC, The Boeing Company, ConAgra Foods, FedEx, GEICO, Harris Teeter, Lockheed Martin, Microsoft Corporation, Procter & Gamble, TKS Telepost Kabel-Service Kaiserslautern GmbH & Co. KG and Wawa Inc. We are also supported through the United Way and Combined Federal Campaign (CFC-11381). To join us in this important mission, and to learn more about the USO, please visit uso.org.