Houston, TX (PRWEB) February 19, 2015
Sadly, Texas leads the nation among accidental drowning incidents each year. There are several ways to prevent an accidental drowning in a backyard pool environment. Pool safety barrier fences from Pool Guard Texas are a big part of drowning prevention. With spring just around the corner, Pool Guard is providing water safety tips from the Texas Drowning Prevention Alliance with the ABC’s of Water Safety. These tools are paramount in keeping family and friends safe around backyard swimming pools.
A is for Adult Supervision:
- Remember the no. 1 water safety rule: "Never ever swim alone!"
- Always watch swimmers, especially at a public pool.
- Hire a certified lifeguard for pool parties whenever kids are present.
- Tragedies often occur when a caregiver is at home and there is a lapse of supervision.
B is for Barriers (for the pool):
- The first line of defense is to install and use "Layers of Protection.”
- Perimeter fences must be non-climbable, four-sided, and a minimum of 48 to 60 inches high.
- Isolation fences must separate the pool/spa from the residence with openings no more than 4 inches wide so children can't squeeze through the spaces.
- Gates must be kept closed and never propped open.
- Doors, windows and gates must be locked, self-closing and self-latching.
- Tables, chairs and planters must be moved away from the pool.
C is for Classes (Swim Lessons and CPR):
- Enroll children in proven swimming lessons until they have mastered the four competitive strokes, treading water, sidestroke and floating. Ask friends for referrals.
- CPR skills have saved lives and prevented brain damage until assistance arrives. All caregivers should be required to become CPR certified.
D is for Devices (Poles, Ring Buoy, Rescue Tube, First Aid Kit and Cell Phone):
- Keep a cell phone by the pool whenever you are there.
- Post 911 emergency number, home phone number and address by a phone.
- Purchase a lightening detector or get out of the water when threatening weather looms.
According to the Texas Drowning Prevention Alliance, “Drowning can be prevented. Contrary to what most people believe, drowning is a quick and silent killer. In the time it takes to get a towel (10 seconds), a child can become submerged. The majority of drownings occur in family pools.”
Pool Guard Texas can help everyone achieve the ABC’s of water safety. They sell and install ASTM certified pool barrier systems for use around backyard swimming pools. Their fence systems are designed for child safety and meet or exceed all of the suggested barrier guidelines for safety around the pool. The Pool Guard Texas team can also provide shorter fencing to protect pets. They carry a UV coated interlocked mesh, which gives great transparency to look through the fence from the home. Additionally, they offer self-closing/self-latching gate entry points, which are key lockable.
Pool Guard Texas’ team members have a wealth of knowledge regarding water safety. How to secure the pool with a pool fence is their specialty, but they can also help guide customers as to where to take swimming lessons and where to buy pool supplies.
For any questions about one of the ABC’s of Water Safety, please feel free to ask Pool Guard Texas. Give them a call today and let them help keep family and friends safe around the pool this year. Pool Guard Texas has offices in Dallas/Fort Worth, Houston and Austin/San Antonio.
About the company:
Pool Guard Texas helps keep swimming pools safe in Houston, The Woodlands, Dallas, Ft. Worth and Austin, TX. Their swimming pool fencing products are manufactured with the highest quality materials available. For over 30 years, Pool Guard Texas has installed and manufactured over 65,000 pool fences nationwide. They use their own trained and certified professional installers and take great pride in their work. Pool Guard Texas makes families safe for generations to come. They offer pool safety fences, fence materials and swimming pool enclosures. For more information about Pool Guard Texas, visit their website at http://poolguardtexas.com/.