The geographic diversity of the states represented on this list highlights that telecommuting opportunities are available across the country, said Sara Sutton Fell, Founder and CEO of FlexJobs.
Boulder, CO (PRWEB) February 25, 2015
After analyzing the job posting activity of over 30,000 companies in its database, FlexJobs, a job service specializing in telecommuting and flexible job opportunities, has identified the top ten states where companies recruit the most state-based telecommuters. These states, both large and small, are located across the country.
“The geographic diversity of the states represented on this list highlights that telecommuting opportunities are available across the country,” said Sara Sutton Fell, Founder and CEO of FlexJobs. “While employers specify these ten states most frequently for telecommuting jobs, there are also great companies that offer jobs that can be done from anywhere in the US as well as jobs that can be done from anywhere in the world.”
In fact, while telecommuting is widely perceived to be geographically neutral, 96.5 percent of telecommuting jobs require the worker to live in a specific location, and the remaining 3.5 percent allow their applicants to work from anywhere in the world. The following states had the highest number of work-from-home job listings in 2014. Following each state is its telecommuting population and a sample of companies hiring for telecommuting jobs in the respective state:
California: Apple, VMware, and Amazon have recruited telecommuters in California, and 5.2% of the state’s population work from home full-time.
Texas: Anthem, Inc., Kelly Services, and First Data have recruited telecommuters in Texas, and 4.1% of the state’s population work from home full-time.
New York: Teradata, US-Reports, and Healthfirst have recruited telecommuters in New York, and 4% of the state’s population work from home full-time.
Florida: Overland Solutions, Inc, Kaplan, and GE have recruited telecommuters in Florida, and 5.1% of the state’s population work from home full-time.
Illinois: ADP, Dell, UnitedHealth Group have recruited telecommuters in Illinois, and 4.2% of the state’s population work from home full-time.
Virginia: Bulletin Intelligence, Salesforce, and Pitney Bowes have recruited telecommuters in Virginia, and 4.5% of the state’s population work from home full-time.
Pennsylvania: AKA Enterprise Solutions, U.S. Bank, Unisys have recruited telecommuters in Pennsylvania, and 3.9% of the state’s population work from home full-time.
Georgia: Westat, Dell SecureWorks, and Convergys have recruited telecommuters in Georgia, and 4.9% of the state’s population work from home full-time.
New Jersey: Real Staffing, Teleflex, and IBM have recruited telecommuters in New Jersey, and 4% of the state’s population work from home full-time.
Arizona: Lockheed Martin, CIGNA, and K12, Inc have recruited telecommuters in Arizona, and 5.5% of the state’s population work from home full-time.
"At Kaplan, we believe that people do their best work if they are allowed to work flexibly -- and continuously improving technology options such as better online delivery platforms, improved communications tools, and more sophisticated databases allow for more roles to be performed on a remote basis than ever before," said Lorin Thomas-Tavel, Chief Operating Officer for Kaplan Test Prep. "Flexible work options are a win-win for us and our employees, as it allows for greater productivity, supports employee work/life integration, and eliminates geography as a barrier to talent."
Kaplan is among the top 100 companies likely to hire for remote jobs this year. 4.4 percent of U.S. workers telecommute every day. Full-time telecommuting remains the most popular choice for those seeking flexible work, due to perks such as better work-life balance and time/cost savings. However, increased productivity, reduced overhead costs, and better recruiting and retention make telecommuting and work flexibility profitable for companies as well.
For more information on the top states, companies and positions hiring, visit: http://www.flexjobs.com/blog/post/top-10-states-with-telecommuting-jobs/
To request additional information, please contact Kathy Gardner at kgardner(at)flexjobs(dot)com.
FlexJobs is the leading online service for professionals seeking telecommuting, flexible schedule, part-time, and freelance jobs. With flexible job listings in over 100 career categories, and opportunities ranging from entry-level to executive, freelance to full-time, FlexJobs offers job-seekers a safe, easy, and efficient way to find professional and legitimate flexible job listings. Having helped over one million people in their job searches, FlexJobs has appeared on CNN, Good Morning America, Marketplace Money, and many other trusted media outlets.