As we were examining podcast discovery, we found that implementing SEO options optimized what would be indexed by search engines and what would be indexed by podcast directories, resulting in better discovery in each instance.
Las Vegas, Nevada (PRWEB) February 28, 2015
Blubrry’s PowerPress Podcasting Plugin for WordPress, the industry’s leading podcasting plugin, has introduced advanced search engine optimization in its release of PowerPress 6.0.
Throughout the past 10 years, there have been a handful of ways to discover podcasts, including via Apple iTunes, search engines, social media, cross promotion, and fan engagement, explained Todd Cochrane, CEO of RawVoice, the parent company of Blubrry.
“As we were examining podcast discovery, we found that implementing SEO options optimized what would be indexed by search engines and what would be indexed by podcast directories, resulting in better discovery in each instance,” Cochrane said.
The podcasting SEO features introduced by the Blubrry team into PowerPress include:
1. Episode title optimization: Allows information in the blog post title being indexed by a search engine to be different within the title element in the RSS feed. When implemented as per the examples, this feature highly optimizes search results when performed on Google and/or in a podcast directory or iTunes.
2. AudioObjects / VideoObjects: Schema.org media objects in microdata format. (Provides extra information that helps web search engine crawlers index media.)
3. iTunes specific optimization that goes beyond episode title changes:
- Highlight fields for iTunes SEO
- Enables iTunes Subtitle field when editing episodes
- Enables iTunes Author field when editing episodes
- Enables Enhanced iTunes Summary feature
- Program level fields include SEO suggestions
“Our team has implemented techniques that will allow podcasters to have their episodes and shows found faster through the modification of the meta data in the podcast RSS feed and allowing for more search engine index friendly terms,” Cochrane said.
Angelo Mandato, CIO, and Cochrane talk extensively about the SEO features in a recent video podcast that will be invaluable to podcasters using the PowerPress Podcasting Plugin and associated podcast media hosting services Blubrry.com offers.
“We are always evolving,” Cochrane said. “We are always seeking better ways to help our podcast family grow their audiences and advance their shows.”
Blubrry.com is a podcasting community and directory that provides content creators detailed audience measurements, audio and video hosting, and monetization opportunities. Blubrry Podcast Community is home to more than 25,000 shows. Blubrry’s parent company, RawVoice, founded in 2005, offers turn-key podcast networks, a media publishing platform, enterprise level podcast download statistics and in-content podcast advertising.