Almost 25 Percent of Email Newsletter Subscriptions are Accidental, According to Latest GetApp Research

Share Article

New research results have identified the biggest motivator for subscribing to an email newsletter, and ‘accidental auto-subscription’ is the most common response, at least for men.

Pie chart showing the most common reasons users subscribe to email newsletters

Most common reasons users subscribe to email mailing lists

...there is a need for better communication when it comes to letting users know if they’re being added to a list or not.

GetApp, the largest cloud-based business apps marketplace, has released new research identifying the most common reason for users to subscribe to an email newsletter. Close to 25 percent of respondents claim that being auto-subscribed– after sending a support email or downloading a file, for example— is the main reason they find themselves on a mailing list.

The research, based on responses from a panel of 500 US-based internet users between the ages of 25 and 44, was conducted as part of GetApp’s independent research program, GetData. The program aims to fully understand the true impact of SaaS (Software as a Service) and cloud-based solutions on small and medium-sized businesses, while also understanding how SaaS customers interact with their products and services.

Following closely behind ‘auto-subscribe’, 22.6 percent of respondents say that it’s ‘deals or special offers’ that drive them to click on the subscribe button, while ‘getting news updates’ comes in third with 21.4 percent. Just missing the top three, ‘interesting news and articles’ comes in fourth with 21 percent. According to the panel, subscribing to a newsletter mailing list in order to get access to restricted content like ebooks or reports is the least likely motivator, with only 7.6 percent of respondents choosing this response.

Interestingly, the results change somewhat when segmented by gender. With 62.8 percent of the panel being male, ‘auto-subscribe’ still comes out as the number one reason for joining a mailing list. Contrastingly, the remaining 37.2 percent of respondents, all female, subscribe most commonly for ‘deals and special offers’ at 26.9 percent. Interestingly, auto-subscribe falls to fourth place with just 21.5 percent of female respondents succumbing to the auto-subscribe.

Christophe Primault, co-founder and CEO of GetApp, says, “It’s natural that small businesses experiment with different ways to get people to subscribe to their mailing lists, but as this latest research clearly shows, there is a need for better communication when it comes to letting users know if they’re being added to a list or not. The research also identifies that marketers should be using their email marketing software’s segmentation features to their full advantage, ensuring that they’re sending out the right content to the right people.”

Full survey details:

Answers to the question “What’s the most common reason you subscribe to an email newsletter?”

Segment: All respondents

#1: Auto-subscribe (I didn’t choose to) (24.8%)
#2: For deals or special offers (22.6%)
#3: To get news updates (21.4%)
#4: Interesting articles and content (21%)
#5: To get access to restricted content (7.6%)
#6: Other (2.6%)

Segment: Male respondents

#1: Auto-subscribe, I didn't choose to (26.8%)
#2: To get news updates (21%)
#3: Interesting articles or content (20.7%)
#4: For deals or special offers (20.1%)
#5: To get access to restricted content (7.6%)
#6: Other (3.8%)

Segment: Female respondents

#1: For deals or special offers (26.9%)
#2: To get news updates (22%)
#3: Interesting articles or content (21.5%)
#4: Auto-subscribe, I didn't choose to (21.5%)
#5: To get access to restricted content (7.5%)
#6: Other (0.5%)

Demographics: 500 US-based male (62.8%) and female (37.2%) respondents from a panel of internet users between the ages of 25 and 44 with an average inferred annual income of between $25-$100k.

More about GetApp: GetApp is an online marketplace for cloud-based business apps, specializing in helping small and medium-sized businesses find, research, and get in touch with business app providers from over 100 software categories. GetApp's Europe office is based in Barcelona, Spain, and the US office is in San Francisco, CA.

Share article on social media or email:

View article via:

Pdf Print

Contact Author

Sançar Sahin
GetApp
+1 (415) 800-3080
Email >
@GetApp
Follow >
Follow us on
Visit website