It's important for homeowners to know if the tree over the house is a hazard
Philadelphia, PA (PRWEB) January 18, 2016
Snow, wind and ice is a lethal combination for trees, especially if a tree is dead, decayed or structurally unstable. Giroud Tree and Lawn provides tips for identifying dangerous trees, determining when a safety inspection by an ISA Certified Arborist is needed and taking action such as tree removal if a tree is found to be hazardous.
A storm can easily topple a dead tree because it no longer has a thriving root system to keep it stable. Additionally, large dead limbs are most vulnerable to breakage in high winds. When trees and limbs fall, the damage can be costly.
"That’s why it’s important for homeowners to know if the tree hanging over the house is a hazard," says Lou Giroud, ISA Certified Arborist and President of Giroud Tree and Lawn near Philadelphia PA. “Homeowners can get a sense of whether a tree is in serious decline or already dead by doing a few basic tests.”
1. Did the tree show signs of stress last summer? Premature fall color change, early leaf drop, abnormally small or pale leaves, or new growth that wilted are all indicators of a potential problem.
2. Does the trunk have a cavity or signs of splitting? Scan the trunk and main leaders for holes (cavities), decay and cracked or split crotches.
3. Is the bark peeling from the trunk? Gently pull on a piece of bark. It should not break off easily.
4. Are twigs and buds developing normally? Scrape either a twig or bud with a thumbnail. It should be a healthy green, not brown or otherwise discolored.
5. Is new growth surviving the strains of winter? Try to bend a twig, does it snap because it’s dry and brittle?
“If a tree is displaying any of the above warning signs, the homeowner should have an ISA Certified Arborist do a thorough evaluation and determine the best course of action.” recommends Lou Giroud. “Next steps may include tree removal, cabling weak limbs or deadwood removal.”
Finally, if heavy snow strikes, take special care of trees like White Pines, Arborvitae, Bradford Pear and Birch. Before the snow gets too heavy, shake or brush it off of shrubs and small trees to prevent breakage.
About Giroud Tree and Lawn
Giroud Tree and Lawn specializes in tree service, tree removal and lawn care programs that make customers love doing business with the company since 1974. Serving Bucks, Montgomery and Philadelphia Counties, the company offers professional tree and lawn evaluation, tree pruning, tree removal, insect and disease control, fertilizing, stump removal and traditional and 100% organic lawn programs to keep lawns healthy and green . Giroud Arborists are ISA Certified by the International Society of Arboriculture (ISA) and have the knowledge and experience required to properly diagnose, treat and maintain trees and lawn health. The company is Accredited by the Better Business Bureau and has been awarded the Angie's List Super Service Award® every year since 2005. The “Giroud Treework for Charity” program donates free tree care services to parks, historical sites and other non-profit organizations located in the Company’s service area. For more information, visit the company website at https://www.giroudtree.com or call 215-682-7704.