A healthy diet can help you lose or maintain weight and prevent a number of chronic diseases; but, most importantly, it can help you feel good.
Keasbey, NJ (PRWEB) March 20, 2015
In honor of National Nutrition Month, ShopRite is hosting events throughout March to celebrate a focus on healthy eating and the important role it has on physical, emotional and mental well-being. A healthy diet can help you lose or maintain weight and prevent a number of chronic diseases; but, most importantly, it can help you feel good.
Visit ShopRite.com for a list of upcoming events at ShopRite stores that aim to help customers follow a healthy eating plan not just this March but all year long.
Additional tips for healthy meal planning made easy include:
- Snack! It’s a great way to provide your body with fuel to keep your energy level up all day. Choose healthy snacks that such as fruit, raw veggies, whole grain crackers or low fat yogurt.
- Control portions and eat from a plate, not out of a package.
- Eat slowly and put your fork down between bites. This allows your body to recognize fullness.
- Forget the “Clean Plate Club.” Listen to your body’s signals and stop eating when you are full. You can always have leftovers wrapped up.
- Don’t pick. Contrary to what we’d like to believe: sips, tastes, bites, foods that crumble, foods that don’t hit your plate, food you eat while standing up, or the remainder of your child’s lunch do in fact have calories and can add up quickly.
- Make eating the only event and enjoy it. When you eat while watching TV, you may consume more than you think.
- Plan your meals and snacks ahead of time so that you’re prepared when hunger strikes.
- Go food shopping on a full stomach and stick to a shopping list.
- When you’re not really hungry but you get the urge to nibble out of boredom or stress, do something else like read, take a walk, watch television, or call a friend.
- Keep portions in check since even healthy food can result in weight gain if you eat more than you should. For example, two cups of brown rice, yes even brown rice, is still around 500 calories. Try measuring your portions for about a week to make sure you are eating appropriate amounts.
- Exercise is not a license to overeat. It takes 30 minutes to burn around 200-300 calories, and 1 minute to eat 2 cookies for the same amount of calories.
ShopRite is the registered trademark of Wakefern Food Corp., a retailer-owned cooperative based in Keasbey, NJ, and the largest supermarket cooperative in the United States. With more than 250 ShopRite supermarkets located throughout New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Connecticut, Delaware and Maryland, ShopRite serves more than six million customers each week. A long-time supporter of key community efforts, ShopRite is dedicated to fighting hunger in the communities it serves. Through its ShopRite Partners In Caring program, ShopRite has donated $33 million to 1,700 worthy charities and food banks since the program began in 1999. As a title sponsor of the LPGA’s ShopRite Classic, ShopRite has raised more than $27 million for local organizations, hospitals and community groups. Progressive Grocer named ShopRite its 2011 Retailer of the Year and Supermarket News awarded ShopRite its 2011 Retail Excellence Award. For more information, please visit http://www.ShopRite.com.