Las Vegas, NV (PRWEB) March 24, 2015
Ready to go on that long-awaited vacation with the kids? The National Crime Prevention Council (Home to McGruff the Crime Dog) and AlertID, the nationwide neighborhood safety network, will help you have a memorable trip by offering these 10 safety tips to help keep you and your family safe while on the road.
Before you leave:
1. Double check all points of entry to your home (including the garage) to make sure they are locked, and use your alarm system.
2. Entrust a spare key to a neighbor or family member so they can check on your place and pick up the mail.
3. Do not share the fact that you will be away from home on social media as burglars see this as an invitation.
4. Plan ahead by taking an updated photo of each child and note demographic information allowing to you to easily send the information to authorities immediately should you get separated.
5. Be aware of the area that you are visiting with AlertID’s free app. A map will show you alerts of sex offenders, crimes, and even severe weather in that area. You can use this information to make the decisions on how to keep your family safe.
While on the road:
6. Keep children with you at all times and strictly enforce a buddy system for older children, including designating a time and place to meet.
7. Always accompany and supervise children in public facilities, including restrooms.
8. Dress kids in bright colors that are easy for you to remember and recognize in a crowd in case you get separated.
9. Have a plan in case you become separated, including a pre-designated spot for everyone to meet. Remind children to remain in the area where they become separated.
10. Teach children to look for people who can help, such as law enforcement, a uniformed security officer, or a store salesperson.
About the National Crime Prevention Council
The National Crime Prevention Council is the nonprofit leader in crime prevention. For more than 30 years, our symbol of safety, McGruff the Crime Dog®, has delivered easy-to-use crime prevention tips to millions of adults, teens, and children. Law enforcement agencies nationwide rely on our expertise to make an impact on personal safety and crime every day. For more information on how NCPC can be a public safety expert for you or how to “Take A Bite Out Of Crime®,” visit http://www.ncpc.org.
AlertID®, your neighborhood safety network, is free to use and helps protect families and neighborhoods. AlertID's mission is to help people live safely by providing a secure way to receive trusted public safety alerts and share information with family members and neighbors. AlertID uses technology to help citizens and federal, state and local authorities share information about crime, sex offenders, natural disasters, missing children and severe weather that can threaten public safety. AlertID is accessible to members online as well as by email and mobile app. For more information visit http://www.AlertID.com.