Context, creativity and clarity are so critical to everything we do - Jeff Light
San Diego, CA (PRWEB) April 14, 2015
U-T San Diego is proud to announce that members of the visuals staff received 17 SND Best of News Design “Awards of Excellence” -- the most won by U-T San Diego in 18 years.
The Best of News Design Awards is an international-juried competition that recognizes excellence in news design, graphics and photography. The annual competition is sponsored by the Society for News Design (SND) and the S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications at Syracuse University. It evaluates entries from magazines and general circulation newspapers published worldwide, as well as syndicates and cooperatives that provide material used in newspapers.
Members of U-T San Diego’s visuals staff -- information graphics, photography and design professionals -- who were honored with a Best of News Design “Award of Excellence” for their outstanding creative work in 2014 include:
- Photo Spread: Memorial Day. Photographer: Eduardo Contreras.
- Individual Photo Portfolio: Food Portfolio. Photographer: Eduardo Contreras.
- Business Page Design: Superhuman Consumption. Designer: Greg Schmidt; Graphics Reporter: Aaron Atencio.
- Food Page Design: Cook Smarter. Designer: Ani Arambula; Illustrator: Cristina Byvik.
- Entertainment Page Design: 12 Year Journey. Designer: Tony Morales.
- Entertainment Page Design: When Sexes Collide. Designer: Gloria Orbegozo; Illustrator: Cristina Byvik.
- Entertainment Page Design: Professional Intimacy. Designer: Gloria Orbegozo; Illustrator: Cristina Byvik.
- Entertainment Page Design: Brain Drain. Designer: Tony Morales.
- Entertainment Page Design: Moses’ Mission. Designer: Adam Vieyra.
- Entertainment Page Design: Big Blowhard. Designer: Tony Morales.
- Entertainment Page Design: Spring Arts Preview. Designer: Gloria Orbegozo; Illustrator: Cristina Byvik.
- Other Graphics: The Fleet. News Artist: Beto Alvarez; Reporter: Gary Robbins.
- Business Graphics: What San Diego County Makes. News Artist: Aaron Atencio; Reporter: Jonathan Horn.
- Sports Graphics; Down and Dirty. News Artist: Shaffer Grubb.
- Sports Page Design: The Power of Five. Designer: Gordon Murray, Illustrator: Cristina Byvik.
- Sports Illustration: Welcome to the Jungle. Illustrator: Cristina Byvik.
- Features Staff Portfolio: Arts & Culture Portfolio. Designer: Gloria Orbegozo; Illustrator: Cristina Byvik.
“Great design is the hallmark of great products. I think that is especially true in our business. Context, creativity and clarity are so critical to everything we do. To me, these awards are a sign of a high-functioning, high-quality newsroom. Congratulations to the entire news team,” commented Jeff Light, U-T San Diego’s president and editor.
Additional information on U-T San Diego’s visual staff is available via the team’s Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/UTVisuals.
For all other information, including media inquiries, contact Stephanie Brown, U-T San Diego’s senior director of marketing and public relations, at stephanie.brown(at)utsandiego.com or 619-823-9794.
About U-T San Diego
The San Diego Union-Tribune, LLC, owner of the 146-year-old U-T San Diego, is San Diego’s leading media company and its most comprehensive source of news, entertainment and information in the region. Each week, products are delivered to more than 96 percent of all San Diego County households through its integrated media portfolio: the Pulitzer Prize-winning newspaper, U-T San Diego; the website, UTSanDiego.com; Sunday’s Best; The Night + Day, DiscoverSD and DiscoverSD.com weekly entertainment guides; Spanish-language products Enlace and Vida Latina-San Diego; U-T TV, an Emmy award-winning on-demand video news source; and hyper-local community papers, U-T Community Press. For more information visit http://www.utsandiego.com.