Bloomfield, NJ (PRWEB) April 29, 2015
Eight tips for a pleasant, memorable day from senior living provider Juniper Communities:
1. Set aside a block of time for the visit, don’t have time pressure to be somewhere else
2. Bring grandchildren or others along for the visit who can bring smiles, take pictures
3. Memories are important, dig out some favorite family photos to share
4. Give mom some current photos that can be displayed, label them with names and relationships
5. Play her favorite music to trigger joyful memories, leave her with a playlist
6. Bring sweet treats, soft candies and cookies may be best
7. Stock her pantry with a few special items, longer shelf life items best
8. Create a calendar with special dates for mom to remember, bring addressed occasion cards that she can use to commemorate the events
For moms who have Alzheimer’s or other dementia, the visit should be short and sweet, perhaps an hour visit. Also, if you can, plan your visit prior to 3 p.m. so that sundowning does not interfere with the quality of the time you spend with her. Looking at old photos and reminiscing is a great way to spend the time.
Although you may expect conversation difficulties, you can minimize these if you stay away though from asking questions such as, “Do you know who that is?” Rather state, “Look at Sara, your newest grandbaby. She has grown quite a bit since last year.”
Careful planning is the key to a successful visit. Know what you might want to talk about or do. Work with a facility’s staff if necessary. Share your concerns and your appreciation. Creativity, flexibility, tolerance for confusion, a sense of humor, patience, commitment, time, and willingness to make the most of the moment will all add to a successful visit.
Most of all bring your love and have a Happy Mother’s Day!
About Juniper Communities, LLC.
Juniper Communities, founded in 1988 operates long-term care communities in NJ, FL, PA and CO. Juniper is dedicated to Nurturing the Spirit of Life in each individual served and believes the keys to healthy aging are an active body, an engaged mind, and a fulfilled spirit. The company’s mission is to serve its stakeholders, residents, families, employee associates, and investors with excellence and strong dedication to the company’s hallmarks of quality, value and innovation. Juniper Communities is located at 400 Broadacres Drive, Bloomfield, NJ 07003.For more information on Juniper call 973.661.8300 or visit http://www.junipercommunities.com.