“The Read Conmigo program, through their accessible online resources and digital books, makes it easy for parents to encourage reading at home,” said Dr. Santiago Wood, Ed.D., Executive Director of the National Association for Bilingual Education.
Miami, Florida (PRWEB) May 07, 2015
MIAMI (May 07, 2015) – Read Conmigo, the award-winning bilingual literacy campaign for children, sponsored by Infinity Auto Insurance, will celebrate the second annual Bilingual Literacy Month throughout May. A unique celebration, Bilingual Literacy Month raises awareness about the importance and benefits of raising bilingual kids.
According to the Annie E. Casey Foundation, 85 percent of Hispanic fourth graders read below proficiency levels. Students who don't meet reading proficiency standards in third grade are four times more likely to drop out of school before earning a high school diploma. By providing parents with bilingual storybooks, apps, and online resources, Read Conmigo bridges the gap for many Hispanic parents that hesitate to read to their children in English or Spanish due to the language barriers.
“Studies show that children who read outside of school are more likely to excel academically and parental involvement is key to making this happen,” said Dr. Santiago Wood, Ed.D., Executive Director of the National Association for Bilingual Education. “The Read Conmigo program, through their accessible online resources and digital books makes it easy for parents to encourage reading at home.”
Bilingual Literacy Month will feature an array of exciting activities for families throughout the month, including:
- A 31-day Bilingual book reading challenge during the month of May. The challenge is simple: pledge to read one book each day with children or students. Read Conmigo will recommend a book each day from its free digital library. Register at ReadConmigo.org.
- Kick-off event at Jungle Island on May 6 featuring a special reading by Yelyna Ortega de Leon, Mexican-American actress and author of “Yely’s First Day,” as well as a presentation of the attraction’s bilingual cockatoos.
- Read Conmigo story time sessions for children at Westland Mall in Hialeah on May 2 and Southland Mall in Cutler Bay on May 9.
- Story time session at Coral Way K-8 Center, featuring a reading by a Miami Marlins player on May 22.
- Closing celebration and story time session at Jungle Island on May 30.
- Opportunities to share photos and stories on social media via the hashtag, “#BilingualLiteracyMonth”
“We are proud to celebrate Bilingual Literacy Month with Read Conmigo,” said James R. Gober, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of Infinity Property and Casualty Corporation, the parent company of Infinity Auto Insurance. “Infinity’s purpose to serve others extends beyond affordable auto insurance. Read Conmigo brings families closer together and strengthens communities.”
In addition, the Miami-Dade County Public School Board will be presenting a proclamation in honor of Read Conmigo’s Bilingual Literacy Month. For more information on Bilingual Literacy Month news and events, please visit http://www.ReadConmigo.org.
About the Read Conmigo Bilingual Literacy Campaign: Infinity Auto Insurance is driven to serve others. Read Conmigo represents one of Infinity’s largest investments in the community. By providing parents with bilingual storybooks, apps, and online resources, Read Conmigo bridges the gap for many Hispanic parents who hesitate to read to their children in English or Spanish due to language barriers. The program has already distributed more than 800,000 free books to classrooms and Hispanic families, and receives support from more than 9,200 educators. The campaign also creates opportunities for new Hispanic authors and illustrators. For more information: http://www.readconmigo.org