Birmingham, Lake Orion, Clarkston, Metamora, MI. (PRWEB) May 17, 2015
Women’s Excellence in Bladder Control provides a full workup for women with potential bladder control issues. Overactive bladder (OAB) is caused by bladder muscle (detrusor) instability, hyperactivity, or hypersensitivity, which may be associated with lower urinary tract problems such as cancer, infection, atrophic vaginitis, or obstruction. OAB can result from central nervous system (CNS) disorders such as stroke, multiple sclerosis (MS), or Parkinson’s disease.
Symptoms of OAB include urinary urgency, frequency, dysuria (painful urination), and nocturia (waking up at night to void). Urge incontinence can also occur with OAB and is characterized by an abrupt and strong desire to void with the inability to delay urination sometimes resulting in incontinence.
How is OAB treated at Women’s Excellence?
- Weight reduction decreases the pressure on the bladder and improves symptoms.
- Smoking cessation is recommended because nicotine is a bladder irritant.
- Bladder retraining/scheduled voiding is a behavioral technique used to improve bladder capacity and control.
- Anticholinergic medications help with the symptoms of OAB and can help prevent accidents.
- Neuromodulation (Interstim) is like a “pacemaker” for your bladder to help overactivity with costly medications and side effects. This is perfect for patients who can’t afford or don’t want to take medications on a daily basis.
- Treatment for IC – combination therapy consists of oral medications and bladder instillations.
- Botox is FDA approved for the bladder. It can dramatically reduce the overactivity of the bladder and is simple and safe. This is an outpatient procedure and can be done in less than 10 minutes.
Women’s Excellence is the most comprehensive obstetric and gynecologic office in Michigan. They also specialize in menopause, weight control, bladder control, endometriosis, robotic surgery, pelvic floor physical therapy, and midwifery services. The knowledgeable, well-trained, compassionate physicians and healthcare providers of Women’s Excellence are taking new patients and are conveniently located in four locations throughout southeastern Michigan, Birmingham, Lake Orion, Clarkston and Metamora. For more information, visit http://www.womensexcellence.com.