There are few platforms in the world that bring together the depth and breadth of manufacturing brands, decision makers, industry sectors and technologies as THE BIG M.
DEARBORN, Mich. (PRWEB) May 18, 2015
All eyes in manufacturing will be on Detroit June 2-4 as SME’s THE BIG M Manufacturing Convergence brings together industry executives, managers, engineers, product designers and students to Cobo Center to discover and shape what’s next. As more than half of manufacturing leaders are planning to invest in advanced manufacturing technologies in the next two years, THE BIG M will provide them the opportunity to share best practices and experience the technologies that are transforming the industry, as well as highlight real-world examples for students to experience the myriad careers available in manufacturing.
“There are few platforms in the world that bring together the depth and breadth of manufacturing brands, decision makers, industry sectors and technologies as THE BIG M,” said Christine Longroy, event manager for SME’s THE BIG M. “Our attendees have a combined purchasing power of $5 billion, as well as a need to advance their future manufacturing strategies. THE BIG M provides a forum to bring all of the stakeholders together to shed light on topics that impact their businesses, increase U.S. competitiveness and ensure the success of the industry moving forward now and for the next-generation workforce.”
THE BIG M will feature a variety of new and popular workshops, keynotes, exhibits and other interactive activities, including:
- M | Build Workshop – Led by Joe Justice, creator of eXtreme Manufacturing, and sponsored by Kelly Engineering Resources, participants will team up to assemble a running car in one day over the course of four, 60-minute “sprints.” The exercise will take place June 2 and will introduce participants to Scrum, a manufacturing method designed to add energy, focus, clarity and transparency to project planning and implementation.
- M | Conference Keynotes – Talks from Autodesk, ExxonMobil, Google, The Institute for Applied Creativity and Vocademy: The Makerspace will offer insights into how these leaders are advancing the industry through innovation, investment in talent and the application of high-tech manufacturing design and production solutions.
- M | Exhibits – Interactive product displays, demonstrations and technologies from across the manufacturing enterprise provide opportunities to connect with more than 175 exhibitors – including AAM, Capture 3D, GE, SpaceClaim and the University of Michigan – on the show floor.
- M | Factories – Find automation tools and resources in the on-site Siemens Digital Factory and learn how connecting equipment, factories, workers and products will increase capacity and efficiencies while reducing costs. The Autodesk® MSV Innovation Factory showcases how to use modeling, simulation and visualization (MSV) to reduce engineering time, increase productivity and innovate the way things are made.
- M | Exchange – Engage with industry experts and displayed parts in THE BIG M’s on-site resource centers for additive manufacturing/3D printing and advanced materials and lightweighting. Attend special presentations on manufacturing in “the cloud,” energy management and the impact 3D printing has on manufacturing processes.
- Big Idea Boulevard – Located on the exhibit floor, stop by and be a part of The Next Big Thing conversation. Technology fosters innovation and sharing ideas drives strategic growth.
- Student Summit – Students and educators will also be able to explore new technologies on the exhibit floor, meet industry experts, network with potential employers and participate in hands-on activities such as a wind-turbine design challenge featuring 3D-printed materials and daily workshops where they can build an underwater remote-operated vehicle (ROV).
Registration is still available for the M | Build Workshop sprints, but spaces are limited. Visit bigmevent.com/attend for more information on all aspects of the event, including pricing and registration.
About THE BIG M
THE BIG M, produced by SME, is designed to convene manufacturers around industry's most vital issues and leverage the power of industry leaders to collaborate and address them. This event demonstrates that manufacturing professionals and companies can shape the future by creating a strong path forward together, connecting people with technology and expertise, affirming the importance of manufacturing, speaking in a unified voice to policymakers and proving that manufacturing is a knowledge industry where creativity is sought and valued. THE BIG M is proud to partner with the following sponsors: Michigan Economic Development Corp.; Automation Alley; AAM; Autodesk; Consumers Energy; General Electric; ITC Holdings Corp.; Kelly Engineering Resources; Licon; Materialise; Michigan Office Solutions; Plex Systems; PTC; Siemens; Square One Education Network; Stratasys; and Uber. Follow @bigMevent on Twitter or facebook.com/bigmevent.
SME connects all those who are passionate about making things that improve our world. As a nonprofit organization, SME has served practitioners, companies, educators, government and communities across the manufacturing spectrum for more than 80 years. Through its strategic areas of events, media, membership, training and development, and the SME Education Foundation, SME is uniquely dedicated to the advancement of manufacturing by addressing both knowledge and skills needed for the industry. Follow @SME_MFG on Twitter or facebook.com/SMEmfg.
1- Advanced Manufacturing Opportunities Report – How advanced manufacturing is helping U.S. companies compete globally, SME, Advanced Manufacturing Media, March 2015