Associations are concerned that they’re over-emailing. Findings show that while 72% of associations send 1-5 emails a month, associations who are sending more than that are seeing higher engagement rates. It all comes back to relevancy.
Saratoga Springs, NY (PRWEB) June 02, 2015
Informz, Inc., a leading provider of digital marketing solutions for the association and nonprofit markets, has released the results of their 2015 Association Email Marketing Benchmark Report. Key themes from the report are that overall email volume is on the rise, open and delivery rates have improved, but click rates have seen a decline. Email cadence and frequency data – a hot topic for association marketers – provides insight into how to achieve optimal engagement levels.
“Some of the most fascinating data this year is around email frequency,” said Joe Tyler, CEO of Informz. “Associations are concerned that they’re over-emailing. Findings show that while 72% of associations send 1-5 emails a month, associations who are sending more than that are seeing higher engagement rates. It all comes back to relevancy.”
The report from Informz includes a summary of email marketing metrics collected from over 1,300 large and mid-sized associations that used the Informz email marketing platform in 2014. These associations, located in the United States, Australia, New Zealand, Canada and the United Kingdom, sent over 1 billion emails in 2014.
The key findings of the report include:
- The average email metrics for associations include a 98.34% delivery rate, 35.49% open rate, and 15.87% click rate.
- 72% of email subscribers were sent 1-5 emails per month. Subscribers that were sent 6-10 emails had slightly higher open and click rates.
- Mobile usage has dropped slightly and desktop usage has returned to the most frequently used email client type.
- Emails containing 1-15 links had click rates lower than the click rate benchmark of 15.87%. Messages with 51-70 links had the highest average click rates at 21.17%.
- Engagement rates decrease as mailing size increases. Mailings sent to less than 50 people had open rates 34% higher than the industry benchmark.
- Messages sent at night had the highest open rates. Messages sent midday had the highest click rates.
- The day of the week has very little influence on open and click rates.
- Subject lines with fewer than 40 characters have open rates above the 35.49% open rate benchmark.
- Over 60% of opened emails were opened for greater than 10 seconds.
- Mobile opens exceed desktop opens during late afternoon and evening hours.
- Over 40% of emails are read on iPhones or in Outlook 2010. The most-used email clients are iPhones (mobile), Outlook 2010 (desktop) and Gmail (web).
The full report is available at http://www.informz.com/benchmark.
Informz is a leading provider of digital marketing solutions to the association and nonprofit industries. The Informz solution provides customers with the tools and expertise to easily and cost-effectively promote their brands, stay in touch, generate and analyze data about their markets, manage information about their members and constituents, and receive valuable feedback to refine future action. The Informz portfolio of solutions includes email marketing, marketing automation and consulting services.