LINCOLN, R.I. (PRWEB) June 10, 2015
June is National Safety Month, so Amica Insurance is sharing some ergonomics tips to help improve safety around the home.
According to the American Chiropractic Association, approximately 80 percent of Americans will experience back problems at some point. Additionally, Americans spend around $50 billion every year to combat back pain. That’s why Amica is sharing tips from the National Safety Council to help with lifting and setting up a home office.
Lifting improperly can lead to strains, dislocations and muscle tears, so remember to:
- Stretch before any type of lifting to warm up the body.
- Straighten the back and bend at the knees, making sure to never twist or bend the back.
- Lift only while on solid ground, and keep feet shoulder-width apart.
- Keep the box or object close to the body.
- Lift with the legs, not the back.
Setting up a home office has become a viable option for those companies looking to develop a better work-life balance for their employees. If setting up a home office, remember to:
- Adjust the chair to provide the proper lumbar and arm support.
- Make sure feet are flat on the ground or resting comfortably on a footrest.
- Be sure the viewing distance from eyes to monitor is at least 18 inches.
- Keep the lighting at a level that doesn’t force you to strain your eyes but isn’t too bright, either.
- Have the proper accessories for the job, like a document holder or phone headset.
About Amica Insurance
Amica Mutual Insurance Co., the nation’s oldest mutual insurer of automobiles, was founded in 1907. The company, based in Lincoln, Rhode Island, is a national writer of auto, home, marine and umbrella insurance. Life coverage is available through Amica Life Insurance Company, a wholly owned subsidiary. Amica employs more than 3,400 people in 44 offices across the country. For more information, visit Amica.com.
CONTACT: Vince Burks, Corporate Communications, 50 Amica Way, Lincoln, RI 02865-1155, 800-652-6422, ext. 24563
Facebook: Amica Mutual Insurance Co.