According to Brian Fleming, “Online student success really comes down to how well an institution can focus on the basics of effective learning design. That’s why we are recommending that institutions launch a "back to basics" campaign.
Boston, Massachusetts (PRWEB) June 17, 2015
Eduventures, Inc., the leading research and advisory firm that is focused exclusively on analyzing the forces that are transforming higher education, today announced findings from research uncovered from a recent survey of 28,000 students, primarily adult learners over the age of 25, who are currently pursuing a degree or certificate program online. The goal of this study is to help institutions understand the factors driving or hindering success in an online learning environment.
Why Online Students Succeed
Eduventures identified specific factors that contributed to low or high academic performance within a statistically valid sample of survey respondents that included the following:
1. High performing online students highlighted having clear course objectives and expectations at the outset of their course or program, and easy-to-use technology. Both of these factors outweighed faculty and peer interaction and tutoring services as drivers of their success.
2. Poor performing online students said that beyond personal distractions and lack of motivation, most struggled with the pace of courses and added that unclear objectives and hard to use technology were a barrier to their success.
According to Brian Fleming, Eduventures’ Senior Analyst for Online Education research, “Online student success really comes down to how well an institution can focus on the basics of effective learning design. That’s why we are recommending that institutions launch a “back to basics” campaign among key stakeholders involved in the design process.”
Eduventures is recommending that institutions focus on the following three priorities:
- Align online courses with objective design standards to improve performance
- Launch a pre- and post-design quality assurance process to ensure objectives and expectations inform every aspect of the student experience
- Optimize the use of a Learning Management System (LMS) to enhance the student experience
Eduventures is the leading research and advisory firm that is focused exclusively on analyzing the forces that are transforming higher education. Building on twenty years of success in working with education leaders, Eduventures provides forward-looking and actionable research based on proprietary market data, and advisory services that support both strategic and operational decision-making. Our recommendations and personalized support enable clients to understand the top traits of leaders in critical disciplines and to evaluate the opportunities presented by new technologies. For more information about Eduventures research, practice areas, and team, visit us at http://www.eduventures.com.
Members of the media who wish to speak to the author of this research can contact Ellen Slaby, Vice President of Marketing at eslaby(at)eduventures(dot)com.