Raleigh, NC (PRWEB) June 25, 2015
Join the Tompkins Supply Chain Leadership Forum 2015. This year’s keynote speaker Jim Tompkins, CEO, Tompkins International, will address the latest thoughts on supply chain practices. Jim was selected as the 2015 Frank and Lillian Gilbreth Industrial Engineering Award recipient by the Institute of Industrial Engineers, IIE. The award recognizes those who have distinguished themselves through contributions to the welfare of mankind in the field of industrial engineering. The contributions are of the highest caliber and nationally or internationally recognized. Jim has also fulfilled over 1,500 speaking engagement requests.
Jim Tompkins has not yet announced this year’s keynote theme because there is no way to predict the supply chain future. However, he does know that the events shaping the marketplace are “Rapid and Surprising”. A company’s supply chain must be able to respond to the Rapid and Surprising events that are continuing to take place daily. Jim stated,
"There is a lot going on and although my keynote will be 90 minutes, I will have to work hard to pack as much information as possible into the presentation. I know some of the things I will want to include:
1. Personalization and customization
2. Identifying your different customer categories and their desires
3. The broadening of the definition of Omnichannel and the supply chain ramifications
4. The merging of categories B2B and B2C, Retail and Consumer Products, etc.
But, with the pace of events being so Rapid and Surprising, I will not begin to prepare my presentation until mid-August and will be adjusting my presentation even on the morning of September 1st."
Jim Tompkins understands there are always things happening, what makes now such a unique time? By restating his idea of “Rapid and Surprising” simply put he outlined the 5 top “Rapid and Surprising” events that have taken place over the last 30 days for Walmart, Amazon, and Alibaba.
1. Neighborhood Market opened with fresh, deli, pizza, bakery, etc
2. Both Sam’s Club and Walmart debuted new grocery “click & collect”
3. ShippingPass mimics Amazon Prime
4. Increased salaries of store associates
5. Announced a new Chairman, the first since 1992
1. Expanded Prime, 2 hour free delivery in Manhattan, NY
2. The debut of Canadian online clothing and shoe store
3. Closed Amazon Supply and integrates offering into Amazon Business
4. Announced FBA Small & Light for non-Prime free delivery
5. Announced plans for private label milk, cereal, baby food, coffee, etc
1. Announced the selling of 11 Main
2. Made aggressive move via Ilium with US cloud outreach
3. Explained cross-border commerce thrust is global entrepreneurship
4. Presented 5-8 year Cainiao delivery goals
5. Presented an additional partnership to pursue wholesale business
Rapid?-YES. Surprising?-YES. Do we all need to RESPOND TO THESE “Rapid and Surprising” events on an ongoing basis?-ABSOLUTELY. Jim Tompkins, “do I know now what will be the hot events that will be driving the supply chain in September?- NO WAY, therefore ask me the morning of September 1st what supply chain folks need to be addressing and I will fill you in.”
Grand Hyatt San Antonio
600 E. Market Street
San Antonio, TX 78205
Monday, August 31 through Wednesday, September 2, 2015
Jim Tompkins, CEO, Tompkins International
Advisory Board Members, Tompkins Supply Chain Consortium
200 Supply Chain Experts