"The grantees will address some of the most pressing health issues in communities."
EAGAN, Minn. (PRWEB) June 30, 2015
The Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Minnesota Foundation today announced the award of $1.5 million in funding for 24 projects across the state. The projects improve community health by focusing on the social and economic factors that greatly affect health outcomes. Grants range from $25,000 to $100,000 and many are renewable for a second year in 2016 based on progress in 2015.
“We took a new approach with these grants,” said Foundation Executive Director Carolyn Link. “Instead of prescribing strict guidelines in specific focus areas, we asked organizations to suggest to us what solutions would advance health equity in their communities. The selected grantees will address some of the most pressing health issues in communities, from family homelessness to creative medical-legal partnerships to innovative approaches to achieving financial stability and more.”
The Foundation’s mission is to make a healthy difference in communities by advancing health equity and improving conditions where people live, learn, work and play.
The following organizations received grants. A description is available on the Foundation’s website.
- Alliance for Metropolitan Stability, Minneapolis, $75,000
- Amherst H. Wilder Foundation, St. Paul, $100,000
- Casa de Esperanza, St. Paul, $75,000
- Cedar Cultural Center, Minneapolis, $75,000
- Churches United in Ministry, Duluth, $82,000
- Hope Community, Minneapolis, $75,000
- Immigrant Development Center, Moorhead, $50,000
- Itasca County Habitat for Humanity, Grand Rapids, $25,000
- Jeremiah Program, Minneapolis, $45,000
- Legal Services of Northwest Minnesota, Moorhead, $90,000
- Minnesota Alliance with Youth, St. Paul, $80,000
- Northfield Healthy Community Initiative, Northfield, $59,500
- Northcountry Cooperative Foundation, Minneapolis, $40,000
- Northwest Minnesota Foundation, Bemidji, $60,000
- Old School Lives, Cotton, $30,230
- People Serving People, Minneapolis, $50,000
- Prepare + Prosper, St. Paul, $82,695
- Southern Minnesota Regional Legal Services, St. Paul, $90,000
- Trust for Public Land, St. Paul, $33,425
- United Family Medicine, St. Paul, $50,000
- United Way of Steele County, Owatonna, $50,000
- Voices for Racial Justice, Minneapolis, $80,000
- WINDOW Victim Services, Hinckley, $70,000
- Youthlink, Minneapolis, $40,000
For more information on Blue Cross’ grantmaking programs, call (651) 662-3950 or toll free at 1-866-812-1593, or visit our website.
The Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Minnesota Foundation exclusively dedicates its assets to improving health in Minnesota, awarding $41.5 million since it was established in 1986. The Foundation’s purpose is to make a healthy difference in communities by advancing health equity and improving the conditions where people live, learn, work and play.