Boston, Massachusetts (PRWEB) July 14, 2015
Annually since 1990, the International District Energy Association (IDEA) has polled its member district energy systems to report the number of buildings and their area in square feet that have been committed or connected to district energy service during the previous calendar year. IDEA compiles this information as well as the thermal energy services provided (heating, cooling, domestic hot water, laundry, ice-making, process heat, etc.) in its annual publication District Energy Space.
During the latest compilation - for calendar year 2014 - IDEA members in North America reported that they added 169 customer buildings totaling 44,746,126 square feet (sq ft) of served building space to district energy service. The running total for newly-served building space for North America since 1990 is 660,174,454 sq ft.
Since 2004, IDEA has also tracked the customer growth of IDEA member district cooling system providers in the Middle East (“Beyond North America”). An additional 2,651 buildings and 75,459,748 sq ft were reported added to district cooling systems for 2014. The running total for served building space Beyond North America added since 2004 is 1,218,325,278 sq ft.
District Energy Space Award Winners 2014:
At its Annual Conference and Trade Show, IDEA formally recognizes member systems reporting the strongest annual growth. At IDEA2015: Inspiring the Next Generation, the organization's 106th Annual Conference and Trade Show, IDEA recognized with gold, silver and bronze awards the following organizations, which reported the strongest growth in number of buildings and building area added to their district energy systems during 2014:
Greatest Number of Buildings Added - North America
- Gold-Markham District Energy (42), Markham, Ontario
- Silver-Pennsylvania State University (17), Happy Valley, PA
- Bronze-Consolidated Edison (14), New York, NY
Most Square Feet Added - North America
- Gold-Detroit Renewable Energy (6,605,000 sq ft), Detroit, MI
- Silver-Enwave Toronto (6,172,155 sq ft), Toronto, Ontario
- Bronze-Enwave Chicago (4,600,000 sq ft), Chicago, IL
Greatest Number of Buildings Added - Beyond North America
- Gold-Emirates District Cooling LLC, Emicool (2,450), Dubai, UAE
- Silver-Empower Energy Solutions (65), Dubai, UAE
- Bronze-Qatar Cool (61), Doha, Qatar
Most Square Feet Added - Beyond North America
- Gold-Empower Energy Solutions (38,543,000 sq ft), Dubai, UAE
- Silver-National Central Cooling Co., Tabreed-Abu Dhabi (19,634,617 sq ft), Abu Dhabi, UAE
- Bronze-Qatar Cool (10,016,137 sq ft), Doha, Qatar
District Energy Space 2014 and previous issues are available in PDF format here.
The International District Energy Association (IDEA) was founded in 1909 with the mission to foster the
success of its members as leaders in providing reliable, economical, efficient and environmentally-sound
district energy services. The association’s membership consists of over 2000 representatives from utilities,
municipalities, universities, hospitals, military bases, airports, industrial parks and other physical plant systems
engaged in supplying thermal energy for heating, cooling and process uses. IDEA also represents engineers,
architects, consultants, manufacturers and finance specialists who supply services and equipment for district