In the past 26 years the IAC has grown from a prestigious academy to one of the world's preeminent forums for top Cardiologists and Scientists. These Faculty are the best of the best. We are proud to honor them with these well-deserved awards.
Vancouver, BC, Canada (PRWEB) July 28, 2015
Dr. Asher Kimchi, Founder and Chairman of the International Academy of Cardiology (IAC) today announced the winning recipients of the 2015 IAC Awards at the 20th World Congress on Heart Disease held in Vancouver, BC, Canada. In addition to the IAC awards, the committee also named three faculty to receive the Distinguished Fellowship Awards.
Dr. Asher Kimchi, together with Co-Chairmen Dr. John A. Elefteriades and Dr. Jeffrey S. Borer, headed a committee comprised of 226 of the world's leading cardiologists and scientists that reviewed a prestigious list of nominees and voted for their top choice.
The following awards for 2015 were presented at the Opening Ceremony of the International Academy of Cardiology Annual Scientific Sessions 2015, 20th World Congress on Heart Disease, to honor the memory of distinguished colleagues, all former members of the faculty of previous International Academy of Cardiology meetings who made major contributions to Medicine and Cardiology:
- The Walter Bleifeld Memorial Award for distinguished work in the field of Clinical Research to Ezra A. Amsterdam, M.D., Distinguished Professor of Internal Medicine, Associate Chief (Academic Affairs), Division of Cardiovascular Medicine, UC (Davis) School of Medicine, Sacramento, CA, USA
- The Albrecht Fleckenstein Memorial Award for distinguished work in the field of Basic Research to Samuel C. Dudley, M.D., Ph.D., Ruth and Paul Levinger Professor in Cardiology; Chief of Cardiology, The Miriam and Rhode Island Hospitals; The Warren Alpert Medical School of Brown University; Providence, RI, USA
- The Jan J. Kellermann Memorial Award for distinguished work in the field of Cardiovascular Disease Prevention to Michael E. Farkouh, M.D., M.Sc.,
Professor of Medicine, Director of the Heart and Stroke/Richard Lewar Centre, University of Toronto, Canada
- The Hans-Peter Krayenbuehl Memorial Award for distinguished work in the field of Research in Cardiac Function to John J. Mahmarian, M.D., Professor of Medicine, Department of Cardiology, Weill Cornell Medical College; Director, Nuclear Cardiology and CT Services at Methodist DeBakey Heart and Vascular Center, Houston, TX, USA
- The Melvin L. Marcus Memorial Award for distinguished contribution as a Gifted Teacher to Gregory W. Barsness, M.D., Consultant in Cardiovascular Diseases and Radiology; Director, Cardiac Intensive Care Unit and the EECP Laboratory, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, NY, USA
The 2015 Distinguished Fellowship Awards were presented to three Faculty of the 20th World Congress on Heart Disease:
- S. David Gertz, M.D., Ph.D., Brandman Foundation Professor of Cardiac and Pulmonary Diseases; Professor of Anatomy and Cell Biology; Director, Cardiovascular Research Hub, Institute of Medical Research, of the Faculty of Medicine, The Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Israel
- Anne A. Knowlton, M.D., Professor of Molecular & Cellular Cardiology, Departments of Medicine and Medical Pharmacology, University of California, Davis, Sacramento, CA, USA
- Udho Thadani, M.D., MRCP, Professor Emeritus of Medicine/Cardiology, University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center and VA Medical Center Emeritus of Medicine/Cardiology, Oklahoma City, OK, USA
The Opening Ceremony and Awards Presentations were chaired by Dr. John A. Elefteriades, William W. L. Glenn Professor of Cardiothoracic Surgery, Director, Yale Center of Thoracic Aortic Disease, Yale University and Yale-New Haven Hospital; Chairman, IAC Scientific Executive Committee and Dr. Jeffrey S. Borer, Professor of Medicine, Cell Biology, Radiology and Surgery at the State University of New York Downstate Medical Center and College of Medicine; Adjunct Professor of Cardiovascular Medicine in Cardiothoracic Surgery at Weill Cornell Medical College; Member, IAC Scientific Executive Committee.
The following Members of the Scientific Executive Committee of the International Academy of Cardiology also took part in the Awards Ceremony:
- Naranjan S. Dhalla, Ph.D., M.D.(Hon), Distinguished Professor at the Faculty of Medicine, University of Manitoba, Winnipeg, Canada
- Laurence Sperling, M.D., Professor of Medicine, Founder and Director of The Heart Disease Prevention Center, Emory University, Atlanta, GA, USA
- Nathan D. Wong, Ph.D., MPH, Professor and Director of the Heart Disease Prevention Program, Division of Cardiology, University of California, Irvine, USA
The Ninth H.J.C. Swan Memorial Lecture at the Opening Ceremony of the International Academy of Cardiology Annual Scientific Sessions 2015, 20th World Congress on Heart Disease, was delivered by Nathan D. Wong, Ph.D., MPH, Professor and Director, Heart Disease Prevention Program, Division of Cardiology at the University of California, Irvine, California, USA, on the topic of “State-Of-The-Art CVD Prevention: Looking Beyond and Interpreting the ACC/AHA Prevention of Cardiovascular Disease Guidelines.”
Dr. Kimchi comments, "The International Academy of Cardiology is dedicated to the advancement of global research in cardiovascular medicine through the support of scientific meetings and publications.”
In his opening remarks, Dr. Kimchi commented, “Over the past 26 years, the World Congress on Heart Disease has been an outstanding meeting for aspiring young researchers to present their research and interact with senior investigators in a relaxed and convivial atmosphere.”
Dr. Kimchi added, “The faculty of the Congress has repeatedly attested to the high quality of the research presented in these scientific sessions and the excellent interchange of ideas that transpires at each meeting.”
The World Congress on Heart Disease, the annual scientific session of the International Academy of Cardiology, provides the opportunity for a comprehensive overview of current concepts and future directions in cardiovascular medicine.
“We are delighted by the interest which has been shown in this year’s Congress from clinicians and investigators from 51 countries around the globe. The 392 oral and poster presentations for this congress were carefully selected by the Scientific Abstract Review Committee from over 700 submitted abstracts,” said Dr. Kimchi.
Dr. Asher Kimchi, the Founder and Chairman of the World Congress on Heart Disease, is a former flight surgeon in the Israeli Air Force and is the Founder and Chairman of the International Academy of Cardiology. Dr. Kimchi is the Clinical Chief of the Division of Cardiology and the Co-Medical Director of the Preventive and Consultative Heart Center of Excellence at the Cedars-Sinai Heart Institute in Los Angeles, CA, USA. Dr. Kimchi holds the academic title of Clinical Professor of Medicine at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center and at David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA. He is a Past-President of the American Heart Association, Los Angeles County Division.
Dr. Kimchi has been involved in medical education for many years. During the past 26 years Dr. Kimchi has served as organizer and chairman of 22 large international congresses on Heart Failure and Heart Disease. He is editor of eleven cardiology books and in 2010 he was elected as a Fellow of the International Academy of Cardiovascular Sciences.
For more information on future congresses, please contact:
International Academy of Cardiology:
PO Box 17659
Beverly Hills, CA 90209, USA
tel (310) 657 8777
fax (310) 659 4781