Washington, DC (PRWEB) August 11, 2015
As two drugmakers race to launch the first of several injectable drugs in an emerging class of powerful cholesterol-lowering medications, health plans and PBMs are growing increasingly anxious about how these agents will impact drug costs. Known as PCSK9 inhibitors, the injectable therapies appear to be superior to the standard statin therapy used to treat millions of Americans. But they come with a series of unknowns that are unnerving payers. “Preparing for Super Statins: Strategies to Mitigate the Coming PCSK9 Cost Explosion,” the Aug. 20 webinar from Atlantic Information Services, Inc. (AIS), will discuss the highly anticipated entry of PCSK9s and their likely impact on the marketplace.
In 60 minutes of expert presentations followed by 30 minutes devoted to individual questions, Josh Golden and Justin Weiss, Pharm.D., of Pharmaceutical Strategies Group LLC will provide reliable strategic information on key questions such as:
- What are the clinical benefits of the new PCSK9s relative to existing treatments that would warrant health plan coverage?
- How much of the high price of PCSK9s is likely to be offset by rebate negotiations or claims controls?
- What is the average cost of avoidance for a major medical event associated with statin use vs. treatment with PCSK9s?
- What potential scenarios exist for adoption of these agents once they become available? What impact is this likely to have on health plan pharmaceutical costs?
- What are the financial implications for the key PBM players, including purchasing incentives, rebating and formulary management?
- How will the strategies already being laid out by the large PBMs impact other competitors and health plans negotiating for coverage? And how much of the value that PBMs negotiate in price is likely to trickle down to health plans and other clients?
- What steps can plans take to ensure that PCSK9s are prescribed for the right patients?
Visit http://aishealth.com/marketplace/c5p19_082015 for more details and registration information.
Atlantic Information Services, Inc. (AIS) is a publishing and information company that has been serving the health care industry for more than 25 years. It develops highly targeted news, data and strategic information for managers in hospitals, health plans, medical group practices, pharmaceutical companies and other health care organizations. AIS products include print and electronic newsletters, websites, looseleafs, books, strategic reports, databases, webinars and conferences. Learn more at http://www.AISHealth.com.