Manchester, MA (PRWEB) September 02, 2015
Lewis Mills & Co. announced today they have achieved Chain of Custody certification from the Aquaculture Stewardship Council. Lewis Mills & Co. is a leading seafood sourcer and importer of a range of superior seafood from across the globe. The new ASC Chain of Custody certification gives Lewis Mills & Co. the ability to make credible claims of the sustainability of the farmed Atlantic Salmon that they source for their customers.
Founded in 2010 by WWF and IDH (Dutch Sustainable Trade Initiative) the Aquaculture Stewardship Council (ASC) is an independent not for profit organization with global influence.
ASC aims to be the world’s leading certification and labeling program for certified responsibly farmed seafood. The ASC’s primary role is to manage the global standards for responsible aquaculture. ASC works with aquaculture producers, seafood processors, retail and foodservice companies, scientist conservation groups and consumers to:
- Recognize and reward responsible aquaculture through the ASC aquaculture certification program and seafood label.
- Promote best environmental and social choice when buying seafood.
- Contribute to transforming seafood markets towards sustainability.
To obtain ASC Chain of Custody certification, Lewis Mills & Co. underwent a rigorous audit by an independent, third party certifier who checked that the process and procedures the company has put in place to meet the requirements of Chain of Custody protocols. The certification process reviews how a company maintains their chain of custody, starting with who Lewis Mills & Co. purchases from, to how Lewis Mills & Co. tracks each purchase, and identifies, segregates and maintains certified inventory.
As a leading seafood sourcing company, Lewis Mills & Co. is also MSC Chain of Custody certified and adheres to Best Aquaculture Practices (BAP) as Lewis Mills & Co. strives to provide all their customers with authentic, traceable and sustainable seafood. Lewis Mills & Co.’s goal is to help each of their customers establish a trusted reputation with their customers by serving only the best premium seafood products.
"We know how important the ASC certification is to our suppliers and especially to our valued customers who purchase our seafood," said Geoffrey Moulton, President & CEO of Lewis Mills & Co. "We have worked diligently to become ASC certified and we are thrilled to receive this prestigious designation."
Lewis Mills & Co.’s core premium seafood products include:
- Atlantic Salmon – Lewis Mills & Co. offers its customers farmed Atlantic Salmon - raised in the most environmentally, conscious way.
- Pacific Salmon – Lewis Mills & Co. offers its customers an array of wild Salmon that includes King, Sockeye, Coho and Pink.
- Organic King Salmon – Lewis Mills & Co. offers its customers fully certified organic King Salmon raised without antibiotics or hormones.
- Steelhead (ocean-going Rainbow Trout) – Lewis Mills & Co. offers its customers Steelhead – both wild and farmed.
- Arctic Char – Lewis Mills & Co. offers its customers Arctic Char. These fish are raised in a land-based farm, without antibiotics or hormones.
- Atlantic and Pacific Halibut – Lewis Mills & Co. offers its customers wild Atlantic and Pacific Halibut.
- Atlantic and Pacific Cod – Lewis Mills & Co. offers its customers both wild Atlantic and Pacific Cod that is either caught by hook and line or by trawler.
- Haddock – Lewis Mills & Co. offers its customers wild Haddock year round from hook and line fisheries only.
- Mediterranean Sea Bass – Lewis Mills & Co. offers its customers wild Mediterranean Sea Bass.
- Lewis Mills & Co. offers the above products in whole-dressed, fillet, portions, smoked, fresh and frozen.
Headquartered in Manchester, Massachusetts, Lewis Mills & Co. ® has been sourcing and importing a diverse range of superior seafood from throughout the world since 2004. Lewis Mills & Co. has built its entire company on the promise of providing customers with the freshest seafood products that have been responsibly harvested using sustainable and environmentally friendly practices. Both MSC and ASC certified, Lewis Mills & Co. sources and imports a wide variety of premium fresh and frozen products, both wild and farmed, from around the globe. Lewis Mills & Co.’s core product offerings include, but are not limited to, Salmon, Steelhead, Arctic Char, Halibut, Cod, Haddock and Mediterranean Sea Bass. Lewis Mills & Co. also sources products for the Sushi trade. Lewis Mills & Co.’s products are positioned for markets seeking seafood offerings from sustainable fisheries worldwide and include supermarkets, club stores, national restaurant/hotel chains, wholesalers and processors. For more information regarding Lewis Mills & Co., contact Geoffrey T. Moulton at gtm(at)lewismills(dot)com or call 978-281-3400.