San Luis Obispo, CA (PRWEB) September 16, 2015
2015 has been a year of raised awareness of transgender issues. Caitlyn Jenner has sparked a national discussion about being transgender, and Barack Obama became the first President in U.S. history to condemn the persecution of “people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender.” And in San Luis Obispo, California, on October 9-11th Cal Poly Pride Center will host Your True Gender Conference 2015 to educate and guide not only transgender individuals on their own personal gender transition journey, but also their families, allies and professional providers.
Your True Gender, a California based non-profit organization, announces the inaugural Your True Gender Conference 2015, gathering some of the world’s foremost visionary pioneers and leaders in the Transgender community for a three-day conference on this topic of cultural significance.
“Your True Gender is very excited to bring together a variety of presentations and discussions led by celebrities, doctors and leaders of the Transgender Community to continue to raise awareness and provided education and information on this relevant topic,” says organizer Jessica Lynn. “This is a first-ever event for the Central Coast.”
Lynn emphasizes that trans people, their families, and allies, are welcome to come for networking, inspiration, and education. Even physical and mental health providers who want to learn about the diverse trans communities should plan to attend.
General Session Speakers:
- Jamison "James" Green, PhD (Keynote Speaker): Long-time pioneer and current President of the World Professional Association of Transgender Health (WPATH), Green continues to work for the legal protection, medical access, safety, civil rights and dignity of transgender and transsexual people. Jamison Green also writes and advocates for issues of equality, human rights and employment non-discrimination. Green will present: Then, Now, and When: The Forces Behind Building Our Movement.
- Dr. Marci Lee Bowers: Hailed as a “Rock Star” of transgender surgery, Dr. Bowers is a pioneering gynecologist widely viewed as an innovator in the field of sex reassignment surgery and the first trans woman in the world to be performing the surgery. Dr. Bowers will discuss: New Directions in Surgical Confirmation.
- Janet Mock: Janet Mock is the New York Times bestselling author of Redefining Realness and prominent advocate for trans women’s rights. She hosts the weekly culture show on MSNBC and serves as Contributing Editor for Marie Claire. Mock will discuss her book: Redefining Realness.
- Dr. Toby R. Meltzer: Dr. Meltzer is a plastic and reconstructive surgeon specializing in sex reassignment surgery both male-to-female and female-to-male and facial feminization surgery. Meltzer will discuss: Male to Female: Surgical Options.
Other conference topics and highlights:
- Rights of survivors of violence
- Transitioning in the workplace and employment law
- New directions for surgical confirmation
- Gender and sexual identity diversity: understanding non-conforming identities
Special Appearances and Events:
- Carly Lehwald, star of the ABC Family Docu-Series: “Becoming Us”, a Ryan Seacrest Production
- Isis King, Freelance Fashion Model, Designer and Motivational Speaker
- Theatrical Presentation: the stage premier of Dear Texas, an original play based on true stories of gender transition
The full conference schedule is available at http://www.yourtruegender.org by clicking on “Conference 2015”.
# # #
About Your True Gender: Your True Gender is an educational, non-profit organization located on the Central California Coast. Its mission is to assist members of the transgender community as they transition to their true gender by networking with professionals such as medical surgeons, psychologists, lawyers, and more. For more information, visit http://www.yourtruegender.org/ or https://www.facebook.com/yourtruegender.
About Jessica Lynn, President, Your True Gender: Jessica Lynn is a transgender female, an activist and an in-demand public speaker on the issues of trans rights. She speaks at colleges and universities throughout the country. She is the President and founder of Your True Gender, a non-profit organization dedicated to educating and spreading awareness about trans topics as well as creating a safe space for anyone who has ever felt out of place.