Home improvement in the fall is essential to keeping family members safe and comfortable in the winter.
Madison, Wisconsin (PRWEB) September 17, 2015
Fall is a great time of year to perform important home improvement. Autumn creates plenty of predictable yard work, such as raking leaves and cleaning gutters. However, there are a number of chores that are less obvious but just as important in order to get a house in tip-top shape before winter and to protect your family's health.
3 Outdoor Home Improvement Tips
When the gardening season draws to a close this fall, it’s time to begin working on projects outside of the house. This Old House suggests adding these tasks to this year’s home improvement list.
1. Walk and caulk – Reducing energy bills, preventing drafts and keeping critters out of the house in the winter starts with a fresh bead of caulk around windows, siding and joints. Before it gets too cold, stroll around the entire exterior of the home and seal any potential air leaks.
2. Maintain paths and walkways – Even if your walkway looks safe now, it will turn treacherous when slush and ice come this winter. Take a weekend to level brick pavers or repair concrete.
3. Wash your home – Many homeowners don’t realize how dirty their house can get. Even the best siding won’t shed all the dust, dirt and rain that a house is constantly exposed to. While some synthetic sidings don’t hold paint, they can be given a face lift with a power washer.
3 Indoor Home Improvement Tips
Of course, no fall home maintenance checklist is complete without ensuring the inside of a home is safe, warm and cozy on cool fall nights. Here are a few improvements that you can make to save money and improve health and comfort.
1. Cover windows – If your home has older windows, they could be a significant source of heat loss during the colder months. While installing new windows is the best solution, using plastic to insulate drafty, single-pane windows can save considerable money and is a worthy fall home improvement.
2. Improve humidity control – Heating your home this winter is bound to dry out the air, leading to sore throats, bloody noses and even a greater chance of catching a cold or the flu. Help protect your family’s health and comfort this winter with a whole-home humidifier.
3. Improve air purity and freshness – When fall begins, it’s also a good reminder that it’s time to replace air cleaner filters. A whole-home air purifier can also trap fall allergens, bacteria and viruses, helping to keep families healthy all year round. Proper whole-home ventilation can also improve air quality by removing harmful air pollutants such formaldehyde, carbon monoxide and many volatile organic compounds (VOCs).
Home improvement in fall is essential to keeping family members safe and comfortable during the winter. Aprilaire has products specifically designed to improve comfort and protect investments from seasonal changes in humidity. To learn more, visit Aprilaire.com
Aprilaire has been a brand leader in IAQ for more than 60 years, delivering a wide range of whole-home systems that improve comfort, health and energy efficiency. Our brand products are sold through and installed by HVAC contractors across the United States and Canada. Find us on Facebook at Facebook.com/Aprilaire.