We are privileged to have the opportunity to remain in Northeast Ohio. Nothing thrills us more than the satisfaction of being part of the movement to retain jobs here in Euclid.
Cleveland, Ohio (PRWEB) September 16, 2015
HGR Industrial Surplus will celebrate the dedication of Nickel Plate Station, the former site of the GM Fisher Body Plant (source: http://www.crainscleveland.com/article/20141115/FREE/141119844/hgr-industrial-makes-the-old-place-look-like-a-new-place - November 14, 2015 - Crain's Cleveland Business) and longtime home of HGR Industrial Surplus, Inc. HGR's ownership group expects to spend $10-12 million on structural renovations and updates during the coming year. To celebrate, HGR will hold a dedication ceremony on Oct. 1 from 11 a.m. until noon.
At the ceremony, an exhibit will be unveiled that shows the history of the site, parts of which HGR has leased since 1998. The dedication is scheduled to coincide with a daylong customer appreciation sale offering discounts of up to 50 percent, as well as drawings for prizes and a free lunch for shoppers.
The Euclid High School Robotics Team will be recognized for its interscholastic achievements. HGR will also unveil a manufacturing resource center to be located inside of its customer lounge. This information center will offer various resources about science, technology, engineering, arts and mathematics (STEAM) education and manufacturing opportunities.
Company officials also will recognize local leaders for their efforts to keep HGR in the community. According to President and CEO Brian Krueger, “We are privileged to have the opportunity to remain in Northeast Ohio. We pride ourselves on the role that HGR plays in extracting the last measure of usefulness out of valuable industrial and manufacturing equipment, while at the same time helping to promote commerce, manufacturing, education and the arts in Northeast Ohio. Nothing thrills us more, though, than the satisfaction of being part of the movement to retain jobs here in Euclid.”
Purchased by HGR last year, the nearly one-million-square-foot plant at 20001 Euclid Ave. is being dubbed Nickel Plate Station in honor of the Nickel Plate Road railway line that steamed through Euclid beginning in 1881, just north of the farmland on which the current building now sits, to connect New York, Chicago and St. Louis.
The site then served as a manufacturing plant for landing gear and rocket shells during World War II and housed governmental surplus goods and offices after the war. By 1948, the Fisher Body Division of General Motors purchased the location to manufacture the bodies for delivery trucks and station wagons. It continued production of vehicles, such as the El Camino, Toronado and Riviera through 1970. Five years later, the plant was retooled as a sewing center, where interior trim and upholstery for autos were made, and by 1992 it closed, after six years of being used to manufacture boat seats.
HGR Industrial Surplus is one of the country's largest resellers of used and surplus industrial equipment. Located in the former GM Fisher Auto Body Plant, HGR has more than half a million square feet of office and showroom space with at least 15,000 items in inventory that range from mop buckets to vertical mills to Motoman and Fanuc manufacturing robots.