LINCOLN, R.I. (PRWEB) September 16, 2015
Wednesday, Sept. 16, is National School Backpack Awareness Day, so Amica Insurance is offering some tips to make sure your child has a backpack that is both safe and comfortable.
According to the American Chiropractic Association, a backpack should be no more than 10 percent of a child’s bodyweight. Backpacks that are too heavy can lead to back and shoulder pain, and even poor posture. That’s why Amica is sharing the following tips from the National Safety Council:
- Choose a backpack that fits properly. It should never be wider or longer than the child’s torso, and it shouldn’t hang more than four inches below the waist.
- Make sure the backpack’s back and shoulder straps are padded.
- The backpack should have hip and chest belts to help transfer some of the weight to the hips and torso.
- Multiple compartments will help better distribute the weight throughout the backpack.
- Compression straps on the sides or bottom will help to stabilize the backpack’s contents.
- Backpacks with reflective material make it easier to see children when they’re traveling to and from school.
About Amica Insurance
Amica Mutual Insurance Co., the nation’s oldest mutual insurer of automobiles, was founded in 1907. The company, based in Lincoln, Rhode Island, is a national writer of auto, home, marine and umbrella insurance. Life coverage is available through Amica Life Insurance Company, a wholly owned subsidiary. Amica employs more than 3,400 people in 44 offices across the country. For more information, visit Amica.com.
Media inquiries can be sent to MediaCenter@amica.com.
Facebook: Amica Mutual Insurance Co.