While many brands provide responsive emails and websites, the ones that focus on making it easier for consumers to convert on smartphones will have an edge in an increasingly competitive retail marketplace.
New York, NY (PRWEB) October 01, 2015
Mobile email conversions in the U.K. decreased compared to the previous quarter, according to new research by Movable Ink. Based on an analysis of approximately 30,000 emails primarily in the retail sector, 59% of conversions were from mobile devices, down 3% from Q1. This was driven entirely by a reduction in smartphone conversions, which fell from 25% in Q1 to 22% in Q2.
Movable Ink’s quarterly UK Consumer Device Preference Report provides deep insights into how U.K. consumers access and engage with emails across smartphones, tablets and desktop computers.
While mobile devices combined (smartphones and tablets) still outweigh desktop in terms of conversions by 18%, the three percent swing indicates that brands still must work to provide seamless commerce experiences in order to maximise conversions. This holds especially true for smartphones, where consumers like to browse, but then often turn to a tablet or desktop to complete a transaction.
“There are some interesting insights and takeaways from this quarter’s report, especially around opportunities for marketers to improve smartphone shopping experiences,” said Matthew Potter, Vice President of U.K. and EMEA for Movable Ink. “While many brands provide responsive emails and websites, the ones that focus on making it easier for consumers to convert on smartphones will have an edge in an increasingly competitive retail marketplace.”
Key findings in the U.K. include:
- Mobile opens are steadying. Mobile devices (smartphones and tablets) accounted for 69% of all email opens, down from 71% in Q1 based on analysis of 47 million emails. Despite decreasing, the U.K. still leads the U.S. by one percent for mobile email opens.
- Mobile conversions slow in the UK. An analysis of approximately 30,000 emails showed that approximately 59% of email conversions were from mobile devices, down 3% from Q1 - driven by a decline in smartphone conversions.
- Tablet users spend less time in the inbox. Tablet users have the shortest attention span when it comes to reading their emails, spending less than 3 seconds on 43% of the emails they open.
- London leads in clicks while Scotland leads conversions. London and the South East accounted for the highest share of email clicks across the U.K. in Q2, while Scotland had the highest share of conversions.
- Android users remain engaged. The number of Android tablet users engaging with their emails for longer than 15 seconds increased to 55% in Q2 from 48% in Q1.
- Smartphones dominate the mornings. Smartphones continue to be the device of choice for email opens in the morning, while desktop opens peak during work hours and tablet use dominates in the evening.
The full report is available as a free download here.
About the Q2 2015 Movable Ink UK Consumer Device Preference Report
The UK Consumer Device Preference Report is based on data collected through Movable Ink’s contextual experience platform between April 1, 2015 – June 30, 2015. They reflect aggregate statistics across Movable Ink’s UK customer base, which includes more than B2C brands from the retail, travel, financial, media, and telecommunications industries. Determining email opens requires images to the load, therefore the percentages for some devices might be over or underrepresented.
About Movable Ink
Founded in 2010, Movable Ink pioneered the application of contextual marketing to email. Movable Ink clients can use any email service provider to deliver dynamic content that changes, in real-time, according to the context of each individual customer. More than 300 innovative brands including ASOS, Shop Direct, Auto Trader UK, and Tesco use Movable Ink to Market in the Moment and optimise their email campaigns to drive ROI. The company is headquartered in New York City with offices in London and San Francisco. To learn more about Movable Ink, visit movableink.com or reach out to us directly at contact(at)movableink.com.