United Methodist churches and volunteers around Huntsville are putting our faith into action.
HUNTSVILLE, Alabama (PRWEB) October 08, 2015
A day of joyful labor will also be a day of caring outreach as 400 volunteers serve the community on Sunday, October 18. Sponsored by Monte Sano United Methodist Church, Monte Sano Day of Service will incorporate 15 service projects, fulfilling a wide-range of needs across the area and around the world.
“Several United Methodist churches and volunteers around Huntsville are putting our faith into action through feeding the poor, providing health screenings, helping agencies that serve the poor and persons with disabilities, writing notes of encouragement, and caring for the environment,” said the Rev. Dale Clem, Pastor of Monte Sano United Methodist Church.
The event begins at 9:00 a.m. with a worship service at Monte Sano United Methodist Church, located at 601 Monte Sano Blvd. Southeast, in Huntsville. Volunteer groups will then gather to learn details about their projects before heading to their various worksites.
Volunteers can learn more and register for the diverse service opportunities at MonteSanoDayOfService.org, which include:
- Packing 40,000 pounds of sweet potatoes to be delivered to local agencies for distribution
- Building eight solar panels to be used for light and charging stations in Haiti
- Packing more than 10,000 meals to be distributed throughout the world via Stop Hunger Now
- Repair, building and cleaning projects at area homes, agencies, and a state park
- Hispanic health screenings at St. Paul’s United Methodist Church
- Assembling health kits that will be used in times of natural disaster
- Organizing and cleaning the food pantry at Manna House
- Lunch preparation and maintenance projects at New Futures Homeless Shelter
- Writing notes of encouragement to people who need a positive message
Participants do not have to be affiliated with The United Methodist Church – or any church – to be a part of the event. There is no cost associated with any of the projects, and most will conclude by mid-day.
On Sunday, October 25, there will be a Day of Service celebration at 9:00 and 11:00 a.m. at Monte Sano United Methodist Church; Bishop Debra Wallace-Padgett will lead worship.
Monte Sano Day of Service is funded in part by a Rethink Church event grant from United Methodist Communications’ Rethink Church initiative as a way to help local United Methodist churches in their efforts to join with their community to make a difference in the world.
About Rethink Church
RETHINK CHURCH is a ministry of United Methodist Communications that encourages congregations to take action outside the church walls by engaging in opportunities that meet critical needs – from literacy programs to feeding the poor, both locally and across the world. At rethinkchurch.org, visitors may interact, learn more about the church, and search for involvement opportunities.