What is less understood is the level of thought, planning, and change management required by schools to implement these new models
Scottsdale, AZ (PRWEB) October 19, 2015
Edgenuity, a leading provider of online and blended learning solutions, today announced its list of top schools and districts implementing blended learning programs. From coast to coast, these schools are transforming the learning experience through student-centered, personalized instructional models and driving new ways to address instructional goals and deliver better student outcomes. The schools and districts were identified from among the base of over 16,000 schools that Edgenuity works with today.
“There is no doubt that blended learning is a proven solution for transforming the educational experience for students,” said Sari Factor, CEO of Edgenuity. “What is less understood is the level of thought, planning, and change management required by schools to implement these new models. We’re glad to recognize these schools and districts for effectively executing on a vision of using technology to empower students and teachers, and we look forward to sharing what these schools have learned to help more and more students across the country.”
“Charlotte Mecklenburg Schools has a commitment to ensuring success for every student. One of the ways we do this is by providing a personalized learning environment that caters to individual student needs. Technology allows us to accomplish this goal. Edgenuity has been an important partner, enabling us to provide rigorous, aligned content in online and blended formats. It is exciting that Edgenuity recognized CMS as a top district for innovative approaches and commitment to students,” said Hope Kohl, Director of Virtual Learning and Media Services at CMS.
The Top 10 Schools and Districts for Blended Learning
Carpe Diem Schools
- Tuition-free virtual school with campuses across the US serving grades 6-12 that provides students the freedom to complete coursework when and where they like.
Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools, NC
- The 2nd largest school district in North Carolina, the district is comprised of 168 schools and serves more than 147,000 students in grades K-12.
Clark County School District, NV
- Serves over 316,000 students across 377 schools with a student teacher ratio of approximately 22-to-1.
Derby Public Schools, CT
- Serves approximately 1,600 students in grades K-12 across 4 schools.
Henry County Schools, GA
- The 7th largest district in Georgia, serves 40,000 students in grades K-12 across 14 schools.
Jefferson Chamber Foundation Academy, LA
- Students are provided with the opportunity to work at their own pace to earn their diploma.
Rio Rancho Public Schools, NM
- In 2005 the district founded Rio Rancho Cyber Academy, the accredited, diploma-granting school for nearly 170 students in grades 6-12.
East Pennsboro Area School District, PA
- A growing, progressive school district with a total population of approximately 2,700 students in grades K-12.
Tift County Schools, GA
- Serves approximately 7,650 students in grades K-12 across 12 schools, including one alternative school.
Village Green Virtual Charter School, RI
- Opened in 2013 for students grades 9-12, the school has a state-wide enrollment policy and any student entering the 9th or 10th grade and who lives in RI is eligible to attend.
“As technology has grown to become more mainstream in education, we’ve seen too many schools focus on the hardware itself rather than on the proper implementation of that technology,” said Stacy Hawthorne, Blended Learning Strategist at Edgenuity. “It is critical that schools first take a hard look at what they want to accomplish with a blended learning program, which students they are hoping to serve, and how the program will fit into the district’s broader goals before moving forward. This requires strong leadership, which the schools named today should be applauded for.”
Edgenuity currently reaches over 1 million students annually and has a presence in 9 of the top 15 school districts in the U.S. Edgenuity chose to highlight these 10 schools due to their sustained commitment to blended learning. Many of its partner schools are planning, developing and rolling out their own blended learning programs in a variety of unique ways. Edgenuity defines blended learning as a program where:
- A student learns in part through online learning, with some element of student control over time, place, path, and/or place, and in part through a teacher-lead brick-and-mortar location away from home.
- The modalities along each student’s learning path within a course or subject are connected to provide an integrated learning experience.
- There is a noted positive impact on student performance as compared to a traditional school setting.
Edgenuity provides engaging online education solutions that propel success for every student, empower every teacher to deliver more effective instruction, and enable schools and districts to meet their academic goals. Edgenuity delivers a range of Core Curriculum, AP®, Elective, Career and Technical Education (CTE), and Credit Recovery courses aligned to the rigor and high expectations of state, Common Core and iNACOL standards and designed to inspire life-long learning. Fully flexible for use in any blended or online learning model, Edgenuity supports an environment where personalized learning is possible. With more than 200 semester-long courses and growing, Edgenuity is driving outcomes for millions of students in schools and districts across the country. For more information, and to see Edgenuity in action, visit Edgenuity.com.
Sloane & Company