(PRWEB) November 18, 2015
A national leader in specialized insurance, McNeil & Co. has issued tips to help car wash owners and operators manage risk during the winter months. McNeil & Co.’s Car Wash Insurance Program has become the fastest-growing insurance option for car wash owners and operators, offering clients decades of industry experience and knowledge.
McNeil & Company’s recommendations for reducing risk during winter conditions at the car wash include:
Utilize salt logs at each location.
- Vacuum islands are very susceptible to slipping and require extra care in the winter months; each island should have its own salt log.
- Be sure to thoroughly salt areas where overspray occurs.
Inspect bays daily for any ice build-up.
- Confirm that the weep system is not causing excess icing on the self-serve bay floors.
- Ensure all underground heating is in good working order for both the bay floors and aprons around the wash. It is very important to be sure the setting on the thermostat is properly set to activate during freezing conditions.
- Check all gutters to be sure they are in good repair and are directing runoff to areas of the wash devoid of pedestrian and vehicle traffic.
- Whenever possible, offer cover for areas where there are change machines and vending machines.
- Identify areas of the wash where morning sun is prevalent and shaded in the afternoon; these tend to create black ice and require more salting than other spots on the property.
- At the exit of the wash, inspect all areas where excess runs off from the vehicle.
Carwash employees should be prepared.
- Employees should wear proper footwear and clothing.
- Employees should be sure to use approved portable heating devices and keep them away from any combustible materials.
- Ensure that the employees using alternate heating sources are trained in their use.
Take precautionary measures.
- Use signage to direct customers to areas of the wash that are designed to accommodate pedestrian traffic.
- Customer waiting rooms must have appropriate winter mats to prevent slips and falls.
- Surveillance cameras are recommended to help prevent fraudulent cases.
- If an incident occurs, be sure to take photo documentation including a written report.
- All exterior ramps and stairs should have approved railings.
- Have adequate safety cones available to help direct customers away from unsafe conditions.
- Minimize the walking exposure on the property. For example, keep garbage receptacles at self-serve bays close to the building.
“Winter conditions can pose a serious threat to car wash businesses,” said Mike Benmosche, Car Wash Program Specialist at McNeil & Co. “As the temperature drops to freezing and below, car wash owners and operators should make every effort to properly manage risk and ensure a safe and successful winter season.”
McNeil’s Car Wash Insurance Program offers a comprehensive plan designed to fit the needs of every kind of car wash, including tunnels, bays and mobile washes. For both single and multiple locations, McNeil & Co. offers complete property and liability coverage tailored to the needs of one’s business. Eligible classes of business include: full service, exterior, in-bay automatic, self-service, hand wash, and other profit centers. McNeil & Co.’s approach goes beyond traditional coverage. They have assembled a complete package of insurance and risk management services to help run a safer, more secure operation. All clients receive 24/7 access to McNeil’s E-Learning online training and risk management tolls that can help educate employees, reduce claims and save money over time. For more information about McNeil & Co., visit mcneilandcompany.com. For more information about McNeil’s Car Wash Insurance Program, visit mcneilandcompany.com/carwash.
Like McNeil & Co. on Facebook and follow the company on Twitter @McNeilandCo and on LinkedIn.
About McNeil & Co.
McNeil & Co. is a nationwide leader in specialized insurance programs, drawing on deep industry expertise to develop and deliver policies and risk management services that meet the unique needs of clients. McNeil & Co. offers the best possible specialized coverage, along with a full array of risk management services, to help customers maximize preparedness and grow their businesses. Established in 1989 to answer a need for more comprehensive, tailored policies in the emergency services market, McNeil & Co. has developed and expanded a model for specialty insurance programs based on genuine industry knowledge and a consultative approach to loss control and risk management. Acclaimed products include AdvenSure, ASIP, Car Wash, ESIP (and Benefits), FireWatch, HOMed (O&P Plus), WildPRO and the Bar, Tavern, Club program.