Hand tools are the foundation of every shop, and WoodRiver is my favorite brand.
Parkersburg, WV (PRWEB) November 19, 2015
Shoppers who need some assistance in picking out gifts for the woodworkers in their lives will be happy to know that Scott and Suzy Phillips, co-hosts of “The American Woodshop” on PBS, have already gone shopping at Woodcraft and made their annual Holiday Gift Guide. See their choices below, but to learn more from Scott and Suzy about these gift selections, watch their online video at https://youtu.be/3CNAJYwlHkA.
Woodcraft offers more than 20,000 products through more than 70 retail stores across the country, in a monthly catalog and online at woodcraft.com.
The first gift on Scott and Suzy’s list is a subscription to “Woodcraft Magazine” that publishes six issues annually, all packed with woodworking projects, techniques and products. “I absolutely love the new layout with the larger photos and better drawings,” Scott says.
HAND TOOLS ($14.99-$304.99)
“Hand tools are the foundation of every shop, and WoodRiver is my favorite brand,” Scott says on the video as he shows his selection of hand planes and chisels. Woodworkers use these planes for smoothing, stock removal, jointing edges, flattening large surfaces, and more. This selection of chisels allows a woodworker to chop mortises and other joints, remove waste, clean out and smooth holes and corners, remove glue lines, cut protruding plugs and more.
WoodRiver Hand Planes
- V3 Bench Planes, #1, #3, #4, #4-1/2, #5, #5-1/2, #6 and #7
- Shoulder Planes, #91 Small, #92 Medium, and #93 Large
- Ultimate Block Plane Set – 20° Standard and 12° Low Angle Block Planes
- #62 Low Angle Jack Plane (Scott’s pick for a beginner)
- Corner Easing Plane
- 6-Piece Bench Chisel Set
- 4-Piece Butt Chisel Set
- 4-Piece Bent Paring Chisel Set
One of Suzy’s favorite gifts, this carving set includes 12 tools, an educational booklet and a DVD that features six carving techniques that will form a solid foundation on which an aspiring carver can build his or her skills.
Record Power 12-Piece Carving Set
POWER TOOLS & PNEUMATICS ($250.00-$495.00)
Woodworkers who dislike sanding should like the Festool brushless sanders that offer the performance of an air sander without the expense and bulk of an air system. Innovative features include an integrated Multi-Jetstream Dust Extraction. To make the dust extraction feature even better, Festool offers a separate hose and sanding sleeve that can be attached to the sander.
“The real benefit of this, Suzy, is that pneumatic sanders, low profile, have been what pros have used for years because of low vibration and efficiency,” Scott says. “This gives you all of that and much lighter weight, and the efficiency of the dust extraction is just phenomenal.”
- Festool ETS EC 125/3 EQ & 150/3 Brushless Sanders
- Festool Hose with Sleeve, 3.5m
Other power tool picks on the Holiday Gift List are a lathe designed specifically for pen turners, a cordless brad nailer that makes fast work of fastening, and a compressor /pin nailer duo that offers ultra portability for use wherever your projects lead you.
- Rikon 10" x 16" Pen Lathe
- Grex GC1850 Cordless 2", 18-Gauge Brad Nailer
- Freeman 1.5 Gal. Compressor/23-Gauge Pin Nailer Combo with Hose and Fasteners
CLAMPING & POCKET HOLE JOINERY ($39.99-$399.99)
Woodcraft senior product manager Peter Collins joins Scott and Suzy to demonstrate new products from Kreg. “They have added Automaxx Bench Klamps to the Klamping Table so now no longer do you have to do any adjustment. You just press down. The only thing you are adjusting is actual clamping pressure. The new Bench Klamp System and Klamp Vise provide even more versatility to the family of Kreg Automaxx products that includes 3" and 6" Bench Klamps and a Klamp Plate.”
- Kreg Automaxx Klamp Table Combo
- Kreg Automaxx HD Bench Klamp System
- Kreg Automaxx Klamp Vise
- Kreg Automaxx 3" and 6" Bench Klamps
- Kreg Klamp Plate
Other Kreg joinery products on the list include a new Kreg Jig K5 Master System that includes an Automaxx Face Klamp and a new organizer for the Kreg Jigs and accessories, along with Scott’s favorite from Kreg, the DB210 Foreman that cuts completion time in half for pocket-hole projects.
- Kreg Jig K5 Master System
- Kreg System Organizer (Designed for Kreg Jigs and screws)
- Kreg DB210 Foreman Electric Pocket Hole Machine
BENCH & HANDY HELPERS ($9.99-$99.99)
“I love my QuikBENCH,” Suzy tells viewers. “I even use that for all my crafts and sewing.” The lightweight, portable workbench can be joined with other benches for a larger work surface. And, like the silicon bench mats on the list, the surface is glue-resistant.
- QuikBENCH Portable Workbench
- WoodRiver Silicone Bench Mats in three sizes: 12" x 12", 18" x 24", 23" x 60"
Other gift ideas in this group include protection for saw blades and chisels, unique cutting board feet that allow use of both board sides, and Scott’s favorite marking knives and shop light that makes it easy to check bevels with its magnification feature.
- WoodRiver Blade Keep 10" Silicone Saw Blade Cover
- WoodRiver Silicone Chisel Edge Guards, 10-piece pack
- Chobs Cutting Board Feet, 4-piece red and green and 4-piece black and white
- WoodRiver Damascus-Style Marking Knife Set, 3-piece
- WoodRiver LED Shop Light with Magnifying Glass Head