New York, NY (PRWEB) November 19, 2015
Everyone has something to give, and businesses, nonprofits, families and individuals around the country are making final preparations for the fourth annual #GivingTuesday on December 1. Celebrated on the Tuesday following Thanksgiving, Black Friday and Cyber Monday, #GivingTuesday brings people together—across geographical, religious, political and demographic boundaries—to give back, through projects that range from local initiatives to national efforts to global projects.
Check out the city, town, regional and state campaigns taking place around the country on an interactive map. Or add your giving story to #MyGivingStory, a contest presented with the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation that has already received more than 400 entries, in which people share why giving is meaningful and what causes and organizations are important to them. Deadline for submissions is Tuesday, Nov. 24 at 5:00 pm EST; enter or vote at http://www.GivingTuesday.org/mygivingstory
A selection of recently announced #GivingTuesday campaigns is below.
Engaging Communities around the Globe
- CBMA: The Campaign for Black Male Achievement has joined the #GivingTuesday movement and is working across its membership of more than 2,500 organizations and 4,700 leaders to inspire and bring together communities across the country to join #BMAGive to help spark a generosity movement for black male achievement. http://blackmaleachievement.org/BMA/SocialMedia/Blog/join-cbma-launching-generosity-movement-black-men-and-boys
- The Family Dinner Project: Once again, the Family Dinner Project is helping families include giving in their Thanksgiving with tips for conversation and giving on #GivingTuesday and beyond. As part of its annual #familydinnerforward initiative, the Family Dinner Project is inviting families to share a meal for the good of others. From Nov. 25 through Dec. 15, visit thefamilydinnerproject.org and download the #GivingTuesday “Dinner Tonight” card, created in partnership with Blue Star Families, a nonprofit organization supporting military families. Also visit the Family Dinner Project on Facebook and Twitter and share or retweet the card with the hashtag #familydinnerforward. Each time the card is downloaded or shared, Boston Market will donate to support military families (up to $5,000). https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__thefamilydinnerproject.org_giving-2Dtuesday_&d=CwMF-g&c=WO-RGvefibhHBZq3fL85hQ&r=fb1RLVA4uRVXn6apgty6VA-wg1IFIRXuKpskoA92uQ8&m=v3WZa8GoD5DuSSGa5NY8kCFuAUZmZwA3m3Rkg9Zlm1I&s=GOl9YcQhHylZiE6YoVn2zqB5y-p1htNVJswGy9N4rJk&e=
- Green ABCs: Green ABCs, a startup sustainable school supplies company and registered B Corporation, is joining #GivingTuesday this year. The Green ABCs campaign will match every dollar donated to provide $10,000 worth of school supplies to some of the most underprivileged public schools in New York City. http://igg.me/at/greenabcs/x
- Honest Tea: Every year, Honest Tea conducts a lighthearted social experiment to see how honest Americans are. Building on this initiative, Honest Tea is joining the #GivingTuesday movement by hosting a Twitter Party on Dec. 1 to celebrate the everyday ways we’re keeping the holidays #refreshinglyhonest by giving back.
- Quickbooks: In preparation for #GivingTuesday, Intuit QuickBooks asked the 75,000 members on Own It: A Small Business Network to pledge support to #GivingTuesday during the first two weeks of November. Own It members who shared their pledge of support in a few sentences on the network were entered to win $500 for their business and $500 for the charity of their choice, and are encouraged to post photos of their #GivingTuesday contributions on or after Dec. 1. https://www.ownit.com/communities/ownit?utm_source=press_release&utm_medium=PR&utm_campaign=Ownit_PR?
- UN Foundation: The UN Foundation is looking forward to the opportunity to work with the #GivingTuesday community to support the lifesaving work of the United Nations. This year, the foundation will support fundraising efforts led by three of its campaigns—Shot@Life, Girl Up and Nothing but Nets. Every gift to Shot@Life on #GivingTuesday will unlock a matching gift up to $25,000 from MAM Baby that will go toward protecting children around the world from polio. Through Girl Up’s SchoolCycle initiative, donations will help send a girl a bike to help her complete her education and get to school safely. And each net donated to Nothing but Nets will be tripled, thanks to generous partners.
- Volunteer New York!: The Westchester nonprofit Volunteer New York! increased its #GivingTuesday fundraising goal to $25,000 this year after planning an elaborate, innovative campaign that will include 50 volunteers, 50+ local businesses, 500 limited-edition hats and strong media support from the Journal News. Information about the limited-edition #volunteerhat campaign can be found at http://www.volunteernewyork.org/volunteerhat.
- WaterAid: WaterAid’s #GivingTuesday campaign is inspired by the fact that every minute, a mother loses a newborn baby from infection caused by dirty water and an unsafe environment. WaterAid is asking supporters to give back this #GivingTuesday by making a gift to WaterAid’s lifesaving work to help poor communities gain access to clean water, toilets and good hygiene. All new and upgraded donations to WaterAid made on #GivingTuesday will be matched up to $100K.
- NPR Generation Listen: Together with public radio stations around the country, NPR Generation Listen is building a close-knit community of younger (and young at heart!) listeners who share public radio’s values of being informed, conscious, and curious. Thanks to support from the Case Foundation, NPR Generation Listen is creating a new social listening experience online that inspires deeper and more authentic connections, conversations, and ideas offline. Launching on #GivingTuesday, the digital NPR Listening Party Kit: Giving Edition contains everything needed for listeners to plan and host an #NPRListeningParty about generosity and its potential to change the world, including a hand-picked collection of NPR stories that inspire dialogue around why people give, the future of philanthropy, and personal stories of giving. What’s an NPR Listening Party? See here. http://generationlisten.npr.org/
Providing New Tools for Giving
- GoodWorld: GoodWorld will donate up to $1 million to charity on #GivingTuesday through its Million Dollar Challenge. This is the first year GoodWorld has officially partnered with #GivingTuesday to use its #donate. For each of the first 1 million completed donations of $20 or more made to charity using #donate between Dec. 1 and 31, 2015, GoodWorld will donate $1 to the respective nonprofit. Visit Million Dollar Challenge for more information about partnering with GoodWorld to use #donate on #GivingTuesday. http://sgs.goodworld.me/million-dollar-match
- Indiegogo: During Indiegogo’s 2014 #GivingTuesday initiative, more than 350 fundraisers surpassed $10 million from more than 45,000 donations. For #GivingTuesday 2015, Indiegogo is announcing 0 percent fees for all cause-related fundraisers, in the hopes of helping nonprofits make the most impact this #GivingTuesday. For more information and for access to 0 percent fees, premium resources and personalized support, visit igg.me/givingtuesday.
- JOHNSON’s Baby: This holiday season, JOHNSON’S® and Save the Children® are igniting a social movement to support early childhood development, which will launch alongside a new video featuring Save the Children® families benefitting from their critical U.S. education programs. This #GivingTuesday, people everywhere can join the movement by sharing baby photos using the hashtag #SoMuchMore through the Donate a Photo app, which helps people connect to the causes they care most about. When using the app, Johnson & Johnson will donate $1 to the cause of the donor’s choice, and now JOHNSON’S® will triple the donation when someone selects Save the Children® (up $150,000). People can donate one photo a day, every day. Donations will help support highly effective early-child-development programs in low-resource areas so that every child can reach his or her full potential. Visit http://www.YouTube.com/baby. http://donateaphoto.com/en_US
- Squarespace: On Tuesday, Dec. 1, 2015, Squarespace, Inc. will participate in #GivingTuesday by donating $100,000 to the 501(c)(3) nonprofit Code.org. Additionally, Squarespace will be offering 20 percent off all new Squarespace subscriptions purchased on Dec. 1, 2015 (from 12:00 a.m. to 11:59 p.m. EST) with the code GIVINGTUESDAY.
Reminding Us What the Holidays Are All About
- The Great American Milk Drive: This #GivingTuesday and throughout the holidays, the Great American Milk Drive is helping make the season brighter for families facing hunger, with the gift of nutrient-rich milk. Together, the Great American Milk Drive and Feeding America are inviting people everywhere to join the Holiday Give Together to help deliver nutrient-rich milk to Feeding America food banks at CrowdRise.com/HolidayGiveTogether.
- JCPenney: In celebration of #GivingTuesday, JCPenney Cares will make a $100,000 donation to Boys & Girls Clubs of America. In select cities across the country, JCPenney will invite kids from local Boys & Girls Clubs to visit a JCPenney store and participate in a special shopping experience that enables kids to select gifts for their families while being treated to a special visit with a local hometown celebrity.
- Rue La La has partnered with four amazing charities for #GivingTuesday. Each charity will have a customized boutique curated with a variety of merchandise that pertains to each charity. The boutiques will be live on Rue La La’s homepage for 24 hours, beginning at 8 a.m. on Dec. 1, and a minimum donation of $10K will go toward each charity. The charity organizations’ logos will be showcased in their designated boutique, and Rue La La’s members will have the opportunity to link to the charity’s website for more information or to give an additional donation.
- Toys “R” Us: For the 12th consecutive year, Toys “R” Us will partner with the Marine Toys for Tots Foundation to bring holiday joy to less fortunate children across the country. Once again, NBA Legend Shaquille O’Neal—aka Shaq-a-Claus—is teaming up to help inspire customers to #PlayItForward. On #GivingTuesday, Shaq-a-Claus will make it even easier to give the gift of play to kids in need. For every retweet of Shaq’s #PlayItForward tweet, the Toys “R” Us Children’s Fund will donate one toy to the Marine Toys for Tots Foundation (up to $125,000 worth of toys). Visit Shaquille O’Neal’s official Twitter page (@SHAQ) on Dec. 1 to participate in the initiative. And continue to #PlayItForward throughout the holiday season by donating to Toys for Tots at Toys “R” Us and Babies “R” Us stores nationwide through Christmas Eve.
- ustyme: On #GivingTuesday, ustyme is kicking off the largest gift of books in history: a billion classic ebooks will be given to all families across the nation—supporting Reading Is Fundamental (RIF) to ensure that children have access to a choice of books and caring adults to read with them. Every family can get a free library of (50) classic children’s ebooks absolutely free. Classics like Goldilocks, Little Red Riding Hood, The Three Little Pigs and more are available at BillionBookGift.com.
To learn more about #GivingTuesday, including how to get involved, background, partner information and tools, visit http://www.givingtuesday.org.
Now in its fourth year, #GivingTuesday is a global day of giving fueled by the power of social media and collaboration. Observed on the Tuesday following Thanksgiving (in the U.S.) and the widely recognized shopping events Black Friday and Cyber Monday, #GivingTuesday kicks off the charitable season, when many focus on their holiday and end-of-year giving. Created in 2012 by 92nd Street Y—a cultural center in New York City that, since 1874, has been bringing people together around the values of service and giving back—#GivingTuesday connects diverse groups of individuals, communities and organizations around the world for one common purpose: to celebrate and encourage giving. A team of influencers and founding partners joined forces—collaborating across sectors, offering expertise and working tirelessly—to launch #GivingTuesday, and it has become a movement that celebrates and supports giving and philanthropy with events throughout the year and a growing catalog of resources.