LINCOLN, R.I. (PRWEB) November 24, 2015
With Thanksgiving right around the corner, holiday travel season is about to begin. That’s why Amica Insurance is sharing safety tips to help protect your family and vehicle.
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 301 people were killed in traffic crashes around the 2013 Thanksgiving holiday weekend. Amica is sharing the following safety tips from the NHTSA:
- Inspect tires to ensure proper grip for inclement weather. Inflate tires to the manufacturer’s recommended levels.
- Make sure windshield wipers work, and replace worn blades, if necessary. Also, fill up the wiper fluid reservoir.
- Keep up with routine maintenance and tune-ups. Check the vehicle for leaks, worn hoses or other necessary parts, repairs and replacements.
- Plan a travel route ahead of time by checking the weather, road conditions and traffic. Leave early, allowing plenty of time to reach the destination.
- Be prepared for an emergency. Pack a snow shovel, broom and ice scraper, as well as jumper cables, a flashlight and emergency markers. It’s also a good idea to pack an emergency kit with a cellphone charger, blankets, water, food and any necessary medications.
- If stranded, don’t run the vehicle with the windows up or in an enclosed space for an extended period of time. Clear the exhaust pipe of snow, and run the engine sporadically to keep the vehicle warm.
- Always wear a seat belt, and make sure that children are buckled up in age- and size-appropriate restraints. Children under the age of 13 should sit in the back seat.
- Never drink and drive, and avoid distractions like texting. Stay focused and alert at all times.
About Amica Insurance
Amica Mutual Insurance Co., the nation’s oldest mutual insurer of automobiles, was founded in 1907. The company, based in Lincoln, Rhode Island, is a national writer of auto, home, marine and umbrella insurance. Life coverage is available through Amica Life Insurance Company, a wholly owned subsidiary. Amica employs more than 3,400 people in 44 offices across the country. For more information, visit Amica.com.
Media inquiries can be sent to MediaCenter(at)amica(dot)com.
Facebook: Amica Mutual Insurance Co.