It is essential for shopping centers and their retailers to ensure that their content across all digital channels is timely, engaging, relevant and accurate – and delivered seamlessly to shoppers as they embark on their individual shopping journeys.
DENVER (PRWEB) November 30, 2015
November 30, 2015 - PlaceWise Media, the U.S. shopping center industry’s leading provider of digital platforms and services built exclusively to drive shoppers to retail, today released several key shopper data points from Thanksgiving week, focusing particularly on the four-day Black Friday weekend. These metrics, which constitute the first annual PlaceWise Shopper Traffic Index, were collected from PlaceWise’s digital network of 750 mall and shopping center websites, and provide insight into shoppers who use online tools as they plan and then carry out their shopping trips.
- 83 percent of shoppers used a mobile device (76 percent smartphone, 7 percent tablet) to do either pre-trip planning or to get information on stores, products and deals on premise/during their trip. 17 percent used a desktop or laptop computer, and 66 percent were using an iOS device.
- Total online traffic within PlaceWise’s national digital network was nearly double the number of visits of a typical week, and peaked at 6:00 PM local time on Thanksgiving Day, Thursday, November 26th, with nearly triple the number of visits of a typical Thursday.
- Across total weekend traffic, 37 percent of shoppers were online on Thanksgiving Day, 31 percent on Black Friday, 22 percent on Saturday and 10 percent on Sunday.
- When shoppers visited the websites, 21 percent looked at basic information (home page, center hours, directions, address); 10 percent went to the center directory page; 45 percent to retailers, deals and events pages and 24 percent to other pages.
- 55 percent of shoppers on smartphones were online while at home, 36 percent were on the go and 9 percent were at the mall shopping.
“While more than 90 percent of shopping purchases are made in-store, shoppers’ use of mobile devices to research before and assist them during their shopping trips is now standard practice,” said John Dee, Chief Operating Officer of PlaceWise Media. “Additionally, many retailers have been starting Black Friday deals earlier for a few years now; this year has been no exception. In today’s mobile-enabled retail world, shoppers’ expectations are higher. It is therefore essential for shopping centers and their retailers to ensure that their content across all digital channels is timely, engaging, relevant and accurate – and delivered seamlessly to shoppers as they embark on their individual shopping journeys. The better the experience, the more centers and retailers can build shopper audience and loyalty and provide them reasons to continue shopping on premise.”
Click here for the full infographic.
About PlaceWise Media
Based in Denver, PlaceWise Media is the leading provider of digital marketing services to retail destinations and the companies that own them. PlaceWise Media’s advertising and data network includes more than 750 malls and shopping centers and 1,700 grocery retailers nationwide. With 10.5 million monthly visitors and more than 200 million total page views annually, PlaceWise Media offers shopping centers, retailers and brands real-time access to active shoppers currently intending to purchase relevant products and services, as well as unique first-party shopper data to help clients better understand their target shoppers’ intentions and make more informed business decisions. For more information visit http://www.placewise.com.