(PRWEB UK) 8 December 2015
Paragon Software Group, a leading multi-platform dictionary applications developer for mobiles, tablets and PCs, announces the release of the new Oxford Learner's Thesaurus app for Android users. The app helps learners of English understand the differences between similar words in written and spoken English, enabling them to enrich their vocabulary and find the right words to say exactly what they mean.
Each entry has a group of 3-10 synonyms. The app clearly explains the meaning of each of the synonyms, as well as their frequency, grammar and register. An example sentence shows how each synonym is used in a particular situation. Notes highlight and explain synonyms that are particularly close in meaning or easily confused, so the user can choose the right word for their context.
For example, the Oxford Learner’s Thesaurus helps users understand the differences between familiar words such as easy and simple, while learning words they may not know such as effortless, painless, and plain sailing.
The Oxford Learner’s Thesaurus app includes:
- Clear explanations of over 17,000 synonyms and opposites.
- Usage notes to identify the exact difference between similar words.
- Guidance on which words are used most frequently.
- Help with choosing the right words for the context: formal/informal, written/spoken, approving/disapproving.
- Hear the words and their synonyms spoken by real British and American voices.
- 30 useful topic word lists which users can add to or edit.
- Create and edit your own lists of favourite words.
- Find the word you’re looking for easily, with the alphabetical index.
- With the ‘Did you mean…?’ function and wildcard search users can find a word even if they don’t know the spelling.
- Use ‘History’ to view the last 100 looked up words.
Requirements: Android 2.2 and later.
Availability: The free download will give you 100 sample entries from the dictionary. An in-app purchase is required to activate the full dictionary. The Oxford Learner’s Thesaurus is available for 27.99 USD (21.99 GBP, 27.99 EUR) at https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.oup.elt.olt.
About Oxford University Press
Oxford University Press is a department of the University of Oxford. It furthers the University's objective of excellence in research, scholarship, and education by publishing worldwide. OUP is the world's largest university press, with a wide global reach. It currently publishes more than 6,000 new publications a year, has a presence in around fifty countries, and employs more than 5,000 people worldwide. It has become familiar to millions through a diverse publishing programme that includes scholarly works in all academic disciplines, bibles, music, school and college textbooks, children's books, materials for teaching English as a foreign language, business books, dictionaries and reference books, and academic journals.
To find out more about Oxford University Press please visit http://www.oup.com. To find out about OUP’s English Language Teaching publications please visit http://www.oup.com/elt. For more information or queries about the OALD please contact elt.enquiry(at)oup(dot)com.