With toilets and garbage disposals working overtime, chances of them getting clogged, overflowing and malfunctioning increase.
(PRWEB) January 28, 2015
Behind only Thanksgiving, Super Bowl Sunday is the second-largest day of food consumption, according to the American Institute of Food Distribution. These food-centered celebrations are the busiest times of the plumbing season for Mr. Rooter Plumbing.
"Much like the holidays, people pile into homes for Super Bowl parties, where they eat and drink more than usual,” said Mary Kennedy Thompson, president of Mr. Rooter Plumbing. "Homeowners need to be aware of the strain this causes on their plumbing."
With toilets and garbage disposals working overtime, chances of them getting clogged, overflowing and malfunctioning increase. Mr. Rooter Plumbing recommends homeowners prepare their bathrooms before their guests arrive and check in on their kitchens during those long commercial breaks.
Mr. Rooter Plumbing has six points to help prevent any plumbing interferences during this year’s Super Bowl:
1. Remove small objects and clutter on toilet tanks that could fall in and cause clogs.
2. Locate and learn how to use the water shut-off valve under the toilet tank in case of an emergency. Don’t forget to test it out before game day.
3. Ensure a trash bin is in the bathroom. Don't flush paper towels, napkins or facial tissue.
4. Don’t overload garbage disposal with leftovers, which could lead to a clogged kitchen sink.
5. Throw scraps in the trash or compost pile.
6. Avoid pouring fat, oil and grease down the drain.
Once the game is over and the guests have left, homeowners may find their garbage disposal needs a cleaning. Mr. Rooter. Plumbing has a simple, inexpensive way to deodorize it – all you need is ice cubes and citrus peels.
Just follow Mr. Rooter Plumbing’s advice:
- Pour a large bowlful of ice cubes and a cup of orange, lemon or lime peels in the disposal.
- Turn on cold water and run the disposal for 30-45 seconds.
- Finally, turn off the disposal and continue to rinse with hot water for 15 seconds.