It’s a continuing care at home program for Phoenix-area residents ages 55 and older who are living independently.
SURPRISE, ARIZ. (PRWEB) January 07, 2016
Home sweet home is embedded in our national psyche, a fixture of the American dream. So it's hardly surprising that in an AARP survey, 88 percent of respondents, 65 and older, said they want to stay in their current residence as long as possible.
Nonprofit Sun Health has launched Sun Health at Home, the first program of its kind in the Southwestern United States, to help older adults do just that: stay at home.
“It’s a continuing care at home program for Phoenix-area residents ages 55 and older who are living independently,” said Jennifer Drago, Sun Health’s executive vice president of Population Health. “We coordinate services for people who may need assistance around the house or with accessing health care. Our goal is to help seniors live independently as long as possible.”
Those who opt to “age in place,” typically rely on a patchwork of services to stay in their homes instead of moving in with family or to a retirement community.
Sun Health at Home pairs its members with a personal wellness coordinator who connects them with a wide range of medical and non-medical services, as needed. The program, which includes a one-time membership fee and a monthly service fee based on age and the plan selected, is an extension of Sun Health’s longtime commitment to help older adults live healthier, fuller lives.
“We are excited about this program because it will help people stay connected and active, and if and when they have needs, we can fill those needs,” Drago said. “It will also reduce the likelihood that they will have to move into a long-term care facility. Finally, because it’s a Life Care plan, it helps seniors protect their assets.”
Michael Mandell, a member of the Sun Health Foundation Board of Trustees and a Sun City West retiree, sees advantages to Sun Health at Home over traditional long-term care insurance.
“Sun Health at Home is not only an alternative to long-term care insurance, but it can also complement existing long-term care insurance policies to provide a complete plan for personalized care.”
A Sun Health at Home membership comes with a lifetime guarantee of care and includes the following benefits, many of which are not covered by long-term care insurance plans:
- Health and wellness services
- Personal emergency response system
- Transportation coordination
- Supportive home technologies
- Medication management services
- Nutritional support/meals
- Homemaker/companion services
- Personal care aide services
- Home health aide/certified nursing assistant
- Adult day health programs
- Select guest privileges and activities at Sun Health’s three Life Care retirement communities
- Assisted living, memory support and skilled care facilities, as needed
Perhaps the biggest benefit of Sun Health at Home is the wellness coordinators, who serve as a health advisors and personal advocates, helping members maintain their independence.
“The wellness coordinators are the heart of the program; the ones who learn members’ likes, dislikes and care preferences. They look out for members’ well-being, especially when there are no family members living nearby to take on that role,” Drago said.
Sun Health At Home is offering free, informational “Discovery Seminars” starting this month. January’s schedule appears below:
- Wednesday, Jan. 13, 11:30 a.m., Goodyear Branch Library, Community Room C102, 14455 W. Van Buren, Goodyear, 85338
- Wednesday, Jan. 20, 1 p.m., and Monday, Jan. 25, 11:30 a.m., both at My Office Business Suite in Thunderbird Office Park, 14050 N. 83rd Ave., Suite 290, Peoria, 85381
- Thursday, Jan. 21, 11 a.m., and Thursday Jan. 28, 11 a.m., both at Sun Health Center for Health & Wellbeing, 14719 W. Grand Ave., Surprise, 85374
Registration is required and is available at sunhealthathome.org, or by calling 623-227-HOME (4663).
About Sun Health
A long-standing champion of healthy living, research and superior health care, Sun Health is a community-based organization providing pathways to population health through philanthropy, senior living communities and community wellness programs. Learn more at http://www.SunHealth.org.
# # #