Alexandria, VA (PRWEB) January 21, 2016
The Mid-Atlantic Chapter of The Association of Pool & Spa Professionals recently donated funds for the rehabilitation of a residential pool for Ariana Zyla, a girl with special needs in central Maryland, as part of its Smiles for Splashes program.
Ariana’s mother, Lori, contacted Chesapeake Pools, an APSP member, to find out the cost to repair the residential in-ground pool at her new home so her children could swim. The pool required a list of safety items, upgrades and repairs. During the conversation, Lori explained that the family had an aboveground pool for Ariana installed at their previous house by the Make-A-Wish Foundation.
Ariana has Rett Syndrome, a neurodevelopment disorder that affects girls almost exclusively, and loves to swim. Lori introduced Chesapeake Pools Manager Nathan Dexter-Thornton to Ariana who warmed his heart with a smile. Chesapeake Pools and its owners wanted to do everything it could to help out the Zyla family, so they reached out to colleagues, associates and APSP to rehabilitate the pool for Ariana. Several area APSP members stepped up and donated their time, labor, materials and money to rehab the Zyla family pool.
Contributors to Smiles for Splashes include:
- APSP Mid-Atlantic Chapter
- Lee and Jason Vaughn, National Pools of Roanoke, water blasting
- Jim Sankey, Sankey Pools, skimmer and main drain pots
- John Gresham, Pentair, pump and filter
- John Arakelian, Baystate Pools, perimeter tile
- David and Brandon Rethemeyer, Federal Stone, white DV coping
- Jim Drozdowski, Paragon Aquatics, ADA lift
- Jim Wilcoxon/Fank Ladue, Wilcoxon Construction, $1,000 credit towards re-plaster and bond coat
- Mike Choi, skilled labor for caulking
- Kirk Southworth, Winkler Pool Management System, service contributions toward labor, electrical, plumbing and concrete
- Debbie Ashworth, Chesapeake Pools, project coordination, labor
Chesapeake Pools and the Zyla family would like to thank everyone and their organizations for their contributions to the project and its successful completion.
For more information on the Smiles for Splashes program, contact Doug Winkler by phone at 301-864-4900 or by email at doug(at)winklerpool(dot)com.
The Association of Pool & Spa Professionals (APSP) is the world’s oldest and largest association representing swimming pool, hot tub, and spa manufacturers, distributors, manufacturers’ agents, designers, builders, installers, suppliers, retailers, and service professionals. Dedicated to the growth and development of its members’ businesses and to promoting the enjoyment and safety of pools and spas, APSP offers a range of services, from professional development to advancing key legislation and regulation at the federal and local levels, to consumer outreach and public safety. APSP is the only industry organization recognized by the American National Standards Institute to develop and promote national standards for pools, hot tubs, and spas. For more information, visit APSP.org or the Association’s consumer site, EscapetoWater.com.
Connect with APSP on Twitter, Facebook, YouTube and Houzz.