Leading with curiosity rather than unhealthy command and control creates an environment that is rewarding for all.
Boston, Massachusetts (PRWEB) January 25, 2016
Today’s workers—the millennials—aren’t likely to be as loyal to their jobs as baby boomers were. According to a Future Workplace study, an overwhelming 91% of them expect to stay in a job for three years or less. This turnover rate is costing companies huge amounts of money and creating avoidable disruption.
“Out of the Question: How Curious Leaders Win” by co-authors Guy Parsons and Allan Milham, provides insight and ways of engaging younger workers by earning their loyalty. In short, they show that one way of satisfying this next generation of leaders is by treating them as such.
“Millennials are not satisfied with just a ‘job.’ They want work that allows them to be involved and included in decisions,” said Parsons. “By asking them genuine questions with the right tone, in the right setting, and cultivating their personal growth; managers can establish a collaborative learning environment for the next generation of leaders.”
For centuries, business leaders have used a command and control style when managing. This method is less effective for Gen Y-ers, and leaders are finding themselves unable to keep up with the pace of change and challenges. This book offers a framework to guide both personal and group decision-making, which is essential to retaining Gen-Y employees. When a Learner Leader mindset is adapted, wonderful things occur: Positivity spreads. Status and hierarchy become secondary or unessential. The differentials evaporate. Everyone becomes focused on finding solutions and possibilities.
Guy Parsons and Allan Milham’s book is now available on Amazon.com, BooksAMillion.com and BarnesandNoble.com.
“The only way to meet and exceed challenges is to truly work together,” shares Milham. “Leading with curiosity rather than unhealthy command and control creates an environment where shared explorations of possible solutions flourish. The process is rewarding for all and the results allow a team to accelerate their progress through the power of many.”
“Out of the Question: How Curious Leaders Win” is available on Amazon.com, BooksAMillion.com and BarnesandNoble.com.
Praise for “Out of the Question” has been abundant:
- Tom Carroll, CEO of South Shore Medical Center says, “’Out of the Question’ is a must read for any CEO seeking to elevate their leadership style. Incorporating more of the ‘Learner’s Mindset’ in my daily work will be essential in leading our continued efforts of building high functioning teams capable of making the necessary adjustments in the dynamic healthcare marketplace.”
- Mark Gilreath, Founder and CEO of Endochoice wrote, “Milham and Parsons introduce the compelling ‘Learner Mindset’ that is a requirement for today’s leaders. It’s a game changer in leadership philosophy, and essential for unifying a workforce including the broad range of expectations from baby boomers to millennials. “Out of the Question” is a must read for executives pursuing continual improvement.”
- Robb Gomez, president of Paradigm Learning shares, “This concept is not a fad or some fly-by-night leadership theory…this transformative read will be applicable 100 years from now.”
- David Hoffman, Director of Internet Security and Privacy Officer at the Intel Corporation says, “’Out of the Question’ will help any leader take his or her results to the next level. The ‘Learner’s Mindset’ is the most important leadership skillset for the next decade.”
- Ashish Lahoti, SVP of Wells Fargo Bank says, “A compelling and relevant book for today’s leaders committed to empowering their teams to greater and sustained results.”
For more information, including a Knower/Learner Leadership quiz, visit thecuriousleader.com.
About the Authors
Allan Milham brings high-energy and passion as a senior leadership and performance strategist. He has logged over 10,000 hours working with top performers-- from his early days with Olympians to Fortune 50 companies-- since 1998. Allan’s work has been called transformational, as he elevates a leader’s presence and brand to create greater results, as well as living a fulfilled and purposeful life.
In addition to Out of the Question: How Curious Leaders Win, Allan is also the co-author of Who Are You … When You Are Big? and Bold Moves: Jump to Outstanding Self-Managed Action.
Guy Parsons is a well-regarded speaker, and teacher who regularly delivers inspiring talks at MIT, to leaders involved in YPO (Young Presidents Organization), as well as EO (Entrepreneur Organization). He is the president of Value Stream Solutions and was elected to the Shingo Institute Board of Advisors.
Over the past 20 years, Guy has worked with more than 120 companies across a wide range of industries, from healthcare, and financial services to private equity. Through his work, he has developed a passion for the ‘people side’ of change management.
Out of the Question: How Curious Leaders Win
By Guy Parsons & Allan Milham
Advantage Media Group
September 11, 2014
Paperback, $14.99; 156 pages