“With Envoy we have been able to be more agile in continuous delivery of value add projects to the business, facilitating a strong relationship between IT and our business users." Kenneth Hess ■ CIO ■ Pacific Steel & Recycling
Fort Worth, Texas (PRWEB) February 15, 2016
Pacific Steel and Recycling (PSR) was faced with legacy architecture affecting core business processes. In order to standardize processes across multiple locations, PSR initiated a project to utilize new functionality within JD Edwards.
PSR required custom development, extensive regression testing, and ongoing process changes within JD Edwards EnterpriseOne. After evaluation of alternatives, AutoDeploy software was selected to support a more agile model of deployment to increase the pace of change delivered in test and prototype environments.
PSR was faced with three significant impediments in accessing new functionality in JD Edwards EnterpriseOne: the need to move towards a more frequent and agile development process, the lack of in-house CNC capacity due to resource scarcity, and the need to eliminate slack / lag time in the development to deployment process to speed up the project.
The challenge was to accomplish all three without bringing on new staff or outsourcing CNC support.
- Need to manage the software development life-cycle more efficiently.
- Efforts to access new functionality in JD Edwards EnterpriseOne were slowed due to the latency between build requests by developers and internal CNC resources.
- Imperative to improve accuracy and efficiency to move code through development life cycle without significantly increasing costs.
- Lack of organizational transparency on where projects sit in a given work stream.
- Need to hold developers more accountable for code created and minimize time cycling between development and QA.
After using Envoy and Change Console, PSR was able to:
- AutoDeploy’s Envoy was able to automate the package build and deploy process across all environments for PSR. The installation of Envoy took one business day and was conducted in a workshop fashion.
- Significantly Improved upon accuracy of software deployment. Because of Envoy’s quality and accuracy module, Envoy was able to call out errors in PSR's existing JDE installation and configuration. Resolving these errors increased system performance and stability.
- Empower IT to manage and control the build and deploy process by simple Windows Task Manager.
- Found that developers were delivering more accurate software because they were able to get package builds on a 24x7 basis.
- Remove managed service contract constraints which allowed PSR to be in full control of development life cycle.
- Resultant efficiencies have allowed PSR to significantly compress the project time-line by 3 months.