“We want to ensure that the places we live in and travel to will remain vibrant for future generations,” said Guy Young, president, Uniworld.
DELRAY BEACH, Fla. (PRWEB) March 02, 2016
Uniworld Boutique River Cruise Collection, the world’s most award-winning river cruise line, continues to expand their industry-leading sustainability programs in 2016. Through green initiatives and partnerships with The TreadRight Foundation and WHOLE WORLD Water, Uniworld is committed to implementing sustainable business and travel practices while supporting both the ecosystem and economy of each destination they visit.
“We want to ensure that the places we live in and travel to will remain vibrant for future generations,” said Guy Young, president, Uniworld. “We created the first-of-its-kind Environmental Sustainability River Cruising Guide in 2013 and continue to strive for constant improvement by developing sustainable solutions for our ships and offices, promoting various charities, donating unused items from onboard our ships, and supporting environmentally conscious businesses.”
Uniworld’s company-wide efforts are based upon three pillars of environment, economic and social responsibility. In addition to filtering their own water, reducing plastic waste and educating guests on the severity of the global water crisis, Uniworld donates $1 to the WHOLE WORLD Water Fund on behalf of each guest on company-owned ships in Europe. Uniworld guests also enjoy frequent excursions to local, sustainable ventures, such as the family-owned Nikolaihof Winery—the first winery in Austria, if not the world, to use biodynamic practices—bringing economic opportunity to each region while providing truly unique cultural interactions.
The TreadRight Foundation is a joint initiative between Uniworld and The Travel Corporation’s family of brands that encourages the sustainable development of tourism. To date, The TreadRight Foundation has supported more than 35 projects in 27 countries by providing grants and assistance to missions benefiting local ecosystems, communities and cultural heritages.
For more details, please visit uniworld.com. Join Uniworld’s social media community at facebook.com/uniworldrivercruises or twitter.com/uniworldcruises using the hashtag #ExploreUniworld.
About Uniworld Boutique River Cruise Collection
Uniworld Boutique River Cruise Collection—the world's only authentic boutique cruise line™—features luxurious ships with an average capacity of 130 guests, exclusive excursions, gourmet cuisine, and the highest staff-to-guest ratio in the river cruise industry. Based in Los Angeles, California, Uniworld offers truly all-inclusive itineraries in Europe, as well as voyages in Russia, China, Vietnam and Cambodia, India, and Egypt—a total of 22 rivers in 26 countries worldwide. Uniworld is a member of CLIA and is highly regarded by discerning travelers, media, and cruise industry experts:
- Listed among the "World's Best River Cruises" by Travel + Leisure, and recognized for "World’s Best Service" in the River Cruise category
- Seven ships listed among Travel + Leisure’s "Top 20 River Ships," with River Countess rated highest of all cruise ships (river & ocean)
- Included on Condé Nast Traveler’s Gold List for seven years (2008 – 2014)
- Top 3 ranking on Condé Nast Traveler's "Top Ten Cruise Lines" (river & ocean)
- Top 4 ranking on Condé Nast Traveler's Readers’ Choice Awards for "Top Cruise Lines" (2014)
- Named "Best Luxury River Cruise Line" by Cruise International (2012 – 2015)
- Named “Best New River Cruise Ship” for the S.S. Maria Theresa by Cruise International (2015)
- Named "Best Culinary Cruise Line" by readers of SAVEUR (2014 – 2015)
- Named “River Cruise Line of the Year” and “Best River Cruise Line” by readers of Food & Travel (2015)
- Awarded “Best Overall River Line,” “Best New River Ship” for the S.S. Maria Theresa and “Best Shore Excursions” (river) by the editors at Cruise Critic (2015)
For up-to-date, high resolution images, please visit Uniworld's Image Library at uniworld.com/why-uniworld/marketing-library.
About The TreadRight Foundation
Created as a joint initiative between The Travel Corporation’s family of brands, The TreadRight Foundation is a not-for-profit that works to help ensure the environment and communities we visit remain vibrant and preserved for generations to come. To date, TreadRight has supported more than 35 sustainable tourism projects worldwide. The foundation’s guiding principle is to encourage sustainable tourism development through conservation, leadership and support for communities.
TreadRight’s past project partners include WWF, Conservation International and The National Trust in the UK. Current initiatives include sponsoring the National Geographic Society’s inaugural “World Legacy Awards,” helping to combat wildlife crime with WildAid, and empowering individuals with the Alliance for Artisan Enterprise.
To learn more about our past and current work at TreadRight, please visit us at TreadRight.org.